Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2016, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light

A few weeks ago the check engine light came on in my '07 Cruiser. And....the bell noise that sounds like "fasten your seat belt" in a plane would sound once, several seconds after the car was started.

Then, for two days in a row, I needed a jump to start it mid day. It would start in the morning and time to go home from work. I took it to Auto Zone and the battery tested bad, so I replaced the battery and the check engine light went out. As I said, this was a few weeks ago.today the check engine light came back on and the bell noise sounds a few seconds after starting. I tried the key on off trick to find a code but it didn't work. Also, my keyless entry has been acting weird, will not work all the time, don't know if its connected to the check engine light being on or not, although it started acting weird a week or so before the check engine light came on the first time.

Thanks.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 06:55 pm
Banned

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Welcome to the forum
Old 05 Nov 2016, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

If you have a check engine light, you can get the good folks at Auto Zone to read the code for you. But ultimately you likely need to get your own code reader. There's a really good one on Amazon that's very inexpensive. It does about 80% of what the $100 ones do. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really need that code to be able to help you. And in the mean time, if you have a multimeter, you can read the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be around 12.75 volts with the engine off and around 13.75 volts with the engine running. If it's much under this, you may have a charging issue.

But again, if there's a check engine light, we need that code.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

If you have a check engine light, you can get the good folks at Auto Zone to read the code for you. But ultimately you likely need to get your own code reader. There's a really good one on Amazon that's very inexpensive. It does about 80% of what the $100 ones do. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really need that code to be able to help you. And in the mean time, if you have a multimeter, you can read the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be around 12.75 volts with the engine off and around 13.75 volts with the engine running. If it's much under this, you may have a charging issue.

But again, if there's a check engine light, we need that code.
Thanks. It will be Monday before I can get that code.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW60 View Post
Thanks. It will be Monday before I can get that code.
No need to wait, you can get the code(s) yourself:
How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Nov 2016, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
No need to wait, you can get the code(s) yourself:
How to retrieve fault codes.
Tried that. It didn't work. But thanks.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW60 View Post
Tried that. It didn't work. But thanks.

Works on EVERY PT. Try it again and make sure you turn the key 3 times within 5 seconds.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 09:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Works on EVERY PT. Try it again and make sure you turn the key 3 times within 5 seconds.
Not with my bad PCM. That was one of the "clues" that the PCM was the problem.

This ISN'T to say the PCM is the problem/cause of this thread.
Old 07 Nov 2016, 07:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yesterday I took a fairly long trip, a bit over 500 miles round trip. With the check engine light on, I was a bit hesitant, but didn't really have a choice. On the way and back, car started fine, it seemed to run OK, and the transmission shifted like it is supposed to. On the way back I stopped to get gas and when I started the car, the check engine light was off. I turned the car off and started it several times and it has not came back on. Thoughts?
Old 07 Nov 2016, 07:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like a loose ground issue to me, BUT I'M NOT A MECHANIC! I'd suggest you check your battery cables and terminals and make sure they're good and tight. If so, remove the battery and air box and check the grounds on the drivers side fender. Remove and clean them and put them back on and make sure they're tight. Reinstall the battery and air box and make sure you get those connections tight on the battery too.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.