Advertisements
erratic auto trans issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moparman440

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2016, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default erratic auto trans issues

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 non-turbo, about 115k miles, auto trans. Had the check engine light come on, and she went into limp mode. No high gear shift at 40 mph as usual. Fluid a tiny bit low. So, I pulled some fluid and added a half quart of Trans-X to clean it out, and picked up a new filter and gasket. Light went right out, and shifting was back to normal. Long story short, the light comes on periodically, downshift may be hard, or it might be fine. Disconnected the battery for 2 hours and code went out. Now it's back, and suddenly the speedometer didn't work. After I got gas it worked again. Light went out. Came back on yesterday, and no top gear. So I parked for 3 minutes with the car off. Light stayed on, but it shifted fine. I'm about to change the filter, but I wondered if anyone else has experience with these erratic symptoms. Thanks.
Old 11 Nov 2016, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: erratic auto trans issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbert200 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 non-turbo, about 115k miles, auto trans. Had the check engine light come on, and she went into limp mode. No high gear shift at 40 mph as usual. Fluid a tiny bit low. So, I pulled some fluid and added a half quart of Trans-X to clean it out, and picked up a new filter and gasket. Light went right out, and shifting was back to normal. Long story short, the light comes on periodically, downshift may be hard, or it might be fine. Disconnected the battery for 2 hours and code went out. Now it's back, and suddenly the speedometer didn't work. After I got gas it worked again. Light went out. Came back on yesterday, and no top gear. So I parked for 3 minutes with the car off. Light stayed on, but it shifted fine. I'm about to change the filter, but I wondered if anyone else has experience with these erratic symptoms. Thanks.

What is the code that keeps triggering?
Old 12 Nov 2016, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wish I knew. I tried the key dance process, but got nothing except some dings and a little red light.
Old 12 Nov 2016, 06:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Transmission codes won't come up with the key dance. And a trip to you local auto parts store won't get them either. You'll need access to a scanner that can pull the trans codes.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Nov 2016, 09:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

My local Oreilly's readers read tranny codes. It's free and takes maybe 5 minutes. You really need to start with the codes.

Tags
automatic shifting issue, transmission problems