Advertisements
Heat Not Blowing Hot Air

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2016, 10:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heat Not Blowing Hot Air

At best I am getting luke warm air out of the heater vents. I disconnected the heater lines and blew them out to make sure the heater core was not clogged. Water flow is great. Used the Lisle No Spill funnel to make sure all the air was bled from the system.

Inlet heater hose is 165 degrees and the outlet heater hose is 165 degrees. Confirms that the heater core is not plugged.

Is it possible for there to be a heater control door not working properly?
Old 12 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Heat Not Blowing Hot Air

Sounds to me like your thermostat is either missing or stuck open. Remove the cap and look inside the spout. You SHOULD be able to see it. The OEM temp thermostat is 195. You engine is not getting hot enough for good heat.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sounds to me like your thermostat is either missing or stuck open. Remove the cap and look inside the spout. You SHOULD be able to see it. The OEM temp thermostat is 195. You engine is not getting hot enough for good heat.
I've changed thermostats in this PT Cruiser more times that I can remember. I took the thermostat out and put it in boiling water. Used my laser temperature gun and the thermostat opened up fine a 195 degrees and closed just fine when cooled. Did this several times. Did not fail.

Frustrating. Either somewhere in the lines outside the heater core is semi plugged or air in the system.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Try bleeding the air out of it first with the bleed screw on the thermostat housing. You might also check the hose running to the overflow jug and make sure it doesn't have any cracks or holes in it. I don't know if this will actually make one run cooler, but I do know it can screw with the gauge readings. Did you do a back flush on the heater core as well as a regular flush. Sometimes a back flush will dislodge any crap stuck in there. I just remove the heater hoses and use them with a garden hose pushed up against them.

Old 13 Nov 2016, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Try bleeding the air out of it first with the bleed screw on the thermostat housing. You might also check the hose running to the overflow jug and make sure it doesn't have any cracks or holes in it. I don't know if this will actually make one run cooler, but I do know it can screw with the gauge readings. Did you do a back flush on the heater core as well as a regular flush. Sometimes a back flush will dislodge any crap stuck in there. I just remove the heater hoses and use them with a garden hose pushed up against them.
I did the bleed screw as I was filling the system. The way I cleaned out the heater core was to using fabricated hose barb, shut of valve, and a quick coupling. I remove both hoses. Blasted air through the heater core hose on top and the switched it to the bottom to blast air through opposite side. Poured CLR into the heater core and let it set for and hour. Flushed CLR with garden hose. One side of heater core then from other side. Used a final blast of air on both sides to make sure everything was unplugged.

Wonder if the lines to the water pump clog up? As I increase the RPM's, the vents get a little hotter. This might be and indication of air not totally bled out?
Old 14 Nov 2016, 07:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

I guess it's possible. Sounds like some sort of flow problem. Have you double checked all of your hose clamps and made sure none of them are sucking air? A loose hose clamp can drive you nuts until you find it. I'd have a look at all of them. Of course if you have the spring type clamps, all I can suggest would to be replace them with screw type clamps.
lmarkie74 likes this.