2003 touring won't start; battery checked out OK

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dazzaman
  • 1 Post By VOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2016, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 touring won't start; battery checked out OK

I got up early Friday to run errands before work. Drove to Manassas for cheap cigs, then went for gas(lot cheaper in Prince William Co. than Fairfax) then went to work and stopped to put stuff in work vehicle. Wouldn't start, just made rrr-rrr-rrr sounds. tried several times, got rapid click-click-click at the end. Got jump from someone just getting to work and started ok. 10 hours later, ready to go home, same thing; started fine with a jump from same Toyota land cruiser. Stopped at Advance Auto parts for new battery but when guy there tested my battery he said readings showed it was fine(sticker on side of battery showed June 2015 so not very old). This issue already covered probably but no time to go through all back threads. apologies. Any helpful ideas? Got car a year ago to replace 2001 LTD someone totaled. this one has almost 120,000 on it. Just had to replace transmission.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 04:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 touring won't start; battery checked out OK

Hi. Have you checked the battery terminals? If they have got a bit corroded you might not be getting full power from battery. Being as it works from a jump start it could be that the jump leads are contacting on the car leads and giving you power. Hope this helps.
VOS likes this.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 04:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

The sounds are classic dead battery.

This can also come from a loose [resistive] connection that heats up during cranking.

the clinking is the solenoid as the voltage "collapses" causing it to open
Dazzaman likes this.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to you both. When I had the battery checked, and it tested alright, I took a look at the terminals and connectors and they seemed clean. This afternoon I went and disconnected the clamps from the terminals, wiped the terminals and the insides of the clamps, although I could see no corrosion or residue of any kind(tiny bit of green at point where negative cable crimped to terminal), put the clamps back on and tightened securely. Car started. perhaps a jolt in the road caused clamps to lose proper contact. Who can say, but thanks again for getting me to check more carefully and fiddle about with the battery. After $3k for trans, wasn't looking forward to a new starter. Are there really PT Cruisers in England? U.S. model or RHD model made for Britain? Drove once in England and Scotland; miserable little speck of a . manual trans Ford Festiva. Had a wonderful time stuck on ring road after landing at Gatwick, then got lost in Brixton. Roundabouts in Edinburgh even worse. Can't wait to do it again!
Old 20 Nov 2016, 12:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest doing a battery load test with the battery in the PT Cruiser. This will tell you if your electrical charging system is working properly.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 07:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

In addition to what's already been advised, check the grounds on the inside of the driver side fender too. And instead of "wiping" your connections on the battery, you should either use a wire brush or some sandpaper in order to bread the glaze that builds up. The green corrosion on the ground cable means you need to keep an eye on that too. the corrosion will creep up under the insulation of the cable and eventually you'll need to replace it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 08:23 am
Young Cruiser

Yes there are right hand drive PT cruiser's in the UK although you don't tend to see as many around these days. Mine is 16 years old but it still looks and drives like new! I have only had it for a few months now but it is one of the best cars I have owned.