Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser GT tune 93 or Stage 1?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2016, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser GT tune 93 or Stage 1?

Hello,

I just got a 2006 PT Cruiser GT convertible with 5 speed manual. Is there a tune that works with this car. I am concerned that it a 2006 2nd gen PT from Chrysler. They already tuned it a little different than say 2005 GT. For example will DiableSport (DS) Intune work? They say it won't on 2007, but isn't 2006 and 2007 Gen II? I have not heard of anyone getting DS to work on 2006 PT GT. In fact I haven't found much other than one post where the person could not get DS to work with his 2006 an dDS said ask for refund

Is the Mopar Stage 1 still available. Did they every make something for 2006 PT GT manual trans

A little more pep is always nice. But no more than what 93 octane will allow. But I think I may be out of luck since I have genII PT (2006)

Last edited by Vintageman; 23 Nov 2016 at 11:26 pm.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 11:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser GT tune 93 or Stage 1?

Welcome to the forum
Old 23 Nov 2016, 11:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a little secret.

While the Diablo Sport is compatible with the 2006 PT GT PCM, it's not compatible with the 2006 Stage 1 PCM. So if you install the Stage 1, you will not be able to use a DS tuner on your PT.
myckee likes this.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Handy_Cruiser,

Thanks for quick reply.

Being a rookie I am not sure I understand. Let me say what I think I know so you can correct me.

Stage 1 tune is really what Mopar offered. You could buy a complete new PCM that had the first level of performance tune which they called Stage 1. Did they ever make one for the 2006 PT GT MTX? What was part #. Is it obsolete?

93 Octane Tune (93OT): DS has/named this. It is similar to Stage 1.

Is both Stage 1 and 93OT just a software image you can load to any PTGT PCM?

Are you saying if I had a 2005 PTGT PCM I could find the Stage 1 image and have it down loaded with DS product?

Is the 93OT a decent street-able tune as long as I run 93 Octane versus the 91 Octane per my manual for my 2006 PTGT? If I had an automatic Stage 1 is best for Mopar also retuned shift point where as DS never did?. I have the manual trans.

Please correct me where I am wrong
help me understand what you are saying please. Thanks so much... I really like my car but a little more Stage 1 or 93OT sounds like a good idea? And I can still just cruise easy if I want to?
Old 24 Nov 2016, 11:16 am
Senior Cruiser

I am not sure about the Diablo sport working on a 2006 PCM or not. I may have one shortly I can test. we'll see. Handy has first hand knowledge of the DS and a 2006 Stage 1, so it would appear that while the DS is compatible with 03-05 Stage 1s, it is not with the 06.

In answer to your question, yes, the 06 Stage 1 is still available, but not from Mopar any longer. Syked ECU Tuning can flash your original or spare pcm with his own update to the original 06 Stage 1 calibration. He has taken the original Mopar Stage 1 calibration, and given it some further improvements and tweeks. He May be able to offer an untweeked Mopar Stage 1 clone too, but he doesn't indicate that on his website. You would have to contact him and ask him directly about that. *Note: Syked doesn't stock cores to use so you must send one to him for him to flash.

As well, FWD Performance can provide an original untweeked Mopar 06 Stage 1 clone. I JUST spoke with Cindy at FWD to confirm that. She offers pretty good pricing if you send in your own core. If she has to source a core for you, the price climbs significantly.

Last edited by myckee; 24 Nov 2016 at 11:59 am.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

interesting information posted.
I suggest to save a lot of questions to contact the "experts"!

Syked Ecu Tuning | Dodge Tuning Software

DiabloSport

This is the company that actually developed and packaged the STAGE 1 for Chrysler

**Flight Systems Electronics Group

Flight Systems Electronics Group

For what it is worth ..unless you intend to be racing a very well tuned PT Cruiser GT can perform very well. I suggest to do a complete engine check and see where you are at. If you have the opportunity to do a chassis Dyno run this would be helpful to see if perhaps your engine output level is reasonably to start with. There are so many that "band-aide" using PCM calibration devises or complete performance calibrated PCM's to just achieve factory claimed whp.

What I found is that the best **bang for the buck is always a custom PCM calibration or a device to allow calibration adjustments.

If you are not going to take on the challenge of lots of reading to learn how to properly calibrate an ECU I strongly suggest to get a custom calibrated PCM but after you have made all your runing gear improvements or upgrades.
**Please note that FSE corp. no longer has authority to actually contribute information about the canceled PT Cruiser STAGE 1 contract but if you ask the right question they may answer direct questions.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

myckee,

Are you getting one from DS to try?

Did DS do their own canned tune independent of Mopar? Is that any (93OT) any good or equivalent?

I am thinking Handy is saying Stage 1 won't work with DS on the 06PTGT. But their 93OT will??... Not sure and give he chance to respond. It may be the DS does work with 06PTGT at all?

How does one get a spare PCM? Sounds smart thing to do.

DS says you can upload (save) your factory tune and put it back later if you want so no need for spare PCM.

But again I am interested in a spare PCM just in case. and not confident in DS with the 06PTGT

I have many questions going. Sorry

#1 Does DS's 93 OT work with 06PTGT manual trans?
#2 If so how does 93OT compare with Stage 1?
#3 Using either tunes am I able to cruise easy if I want too, just always need to be sure I use 93 Octane. I'll never want to go back to stock tune
#4 What do I gain for HP/Torque when I want it?
#5 How do I get a spare PCM an done that will work with my 06PTGT mtx and Vin#

I'll look into Syked and FWD. Thanks!

Happy ThanksGiving

Thanks again

Last edited by Vintageman; 24 Nov 2016 at 12:17 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

#4 What do I gain for HP/Torque when I want it?

This question is always a loaded one on every forum that someone once to increase power.
There are only a couple of members that have actually done DATA LOGGING. Most all other simply used seat of the pants reference to any gains made. i.e. butt Dyno.
There are estimated gains that can be claimed advertised to achieve. BUT unless you start out with first checking to see what your power out is in the beginning and than later you will never get a true idea of what if any you gained over manufactures advertised specifications for power ratings..
What I have found from doing dozens maybe hundreds of DYNO pulls on many people rides is that throttle response and low end performance seems to translate the "butt Dyno" to think they are gaining power.
\None of the offered PCM or calibration devices using their provided tunes will gain more then 25-35 hp. You need a very carefully calibrated adjustment with lots of data input to safely gain more than that. This means getting a relationship started with an experience ECU/EFI Performance calibrator.
The only one that has those credentials on this forum that has a business is
Syked Ecu Tuning | Dodge Tuning Software

IMHO You are realistically better off to but a wet Nitrous system (NOS Sniper) and get a safe and easy 75hp gain.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The flash part number for the 2006 Stage 1 PCM for PT with manual tranny and ABS is P5153646.

To check compatibility, the Diablo Sport tuner will first read this flash number and compare it an to internal list. If the number is not on that list, it will give you message saying it's not compatible.

My 2007 PT has a custom Stage 1 PCM programed by Syked Tuning. It has the VLP transmission controller required for the 2007/2008 turbo PT's (with a custom shift table), but the engine controller is a 2006 Stage 1 Autostick P5153649. The DS Trinity will not work with this controller. And my research on this indicates that DS only included the 2003 thru 2005 Stage 1 part numbers in their compatibility list.

Now it's always possibly the manual tranny version was included. But that's not indicated based on what I found. You can call Kevin Sykes and ask him about this. But I don't think he has dealt with this specially because it's a PT issue and not an SRT4 issue. Forum member McKee is likely more versed on these PCM compatibility issues than any other person or source I've found because PT PCM's have only recently become cheap enough to mix and match and most folks in the business have move on from the subject of the PT. If there is an "expert" for this, Mckee is like as close as you can come.

To make absolutely sure about the compatibility issue, I would first make sure of the part number of the Stage 1 I was going to get. Syked tuning has the ability to custom program them. So if you buy one from there, you might get the same Stage 1 Autostick P5153649 or P5153660 but tweaked for the manual 5-speed. It's also possible that the Autostick version works fine on the manual tranny as is without tweaking. If you buy your Stage 1 from FWD Performance, it will likely be a complete flash to the manual trans P5153646.

Once I knew what flash I was going to get, I'd call Diablo Sport and ask them and/or post the question on their help forum. I've done this before. They are good folks. I suspect there is a 95% chance the 2006 manual Stage 1 will not work with the DS tuner just as the 2006 Autostick version will not.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2016 at 01:20 pm.