• 2 Post By cruserdad1976
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 4 Post By NitroPT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2016, 10:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Default When lifting out engine

We either are gonna replace or rebuild the engine but was wondering when we seperate the engine from the transmission will there be any transmission fluid that will come out or is the transmission inclosed there??
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When lifting out engine

Don't know but maybe this will help...

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 07:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the video it will be a little more that I could find on internet or in the Haynes book. If any one else knows more about an easier way of removing the emotions please let me know.. thanks allot guys
Old 24 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If an automatic, the answer is no if everything goes as planned.

Once the bolts fastening the flywheel flexplate to the torque converter are removed, the torque converter will slide back just a little. And you will need it to stay back when separating the engine from the tranny. The potential for mass fluid loss will come after you lift the engine a couple of feet. At that point the torque convert may try to slide forward and fall on the ground below the lifted engine. Then fluid may come gushing out of both the torque converter (depending on which way if falls) and from around the input shaft on the tranny. Note that at rest, most fluid is either in the torque converter itself or in the tranny pan.

Also, the tranny coolant lines are fairly short with only a limited amount of slack. If the tranny moved too much when the engine is removed, one or both lines may pull loose and some limited fluid loss may occur.

In summary, keep the torque converter in place and make sure the tranny coolant lines don't get pulled loose.

It should be noted that I am a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2016 at 10:34 pm.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

hahaha! ^^^ long flowing hair.....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Nov 2016, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

really if you are pulling a motor and tranny and do not expect to get any fluids on the floor none at all -- you need to just leave it in the car and walk away maybe you wont have a big mess and maybe not even a small mess but you will have a mess its just how it is
NitroPT and Carnut like this.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree^^^

Even now when changing oil in the driveway I take all the precautions and still something always happens that makes a mess. The worst is when your drain pan is not positioned directly under the oil pan drain area...

Pulling an engine from a street vehicle is always messy.
cruserdad1976 and Carnut like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Nov 2016, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Once you do this in the dirt a few times, you lean how to avoid having to lay in puddles of automotive fluids. Plus, some of us grew up having to reuse fluids because they cost money. Spills can always happen but they are not inevitable.

The summer between my 7th and 8th grade in school, my dad hired this "professional mechanic" to work in our shop. I was supposed to be his helper. Anyway, the guy would drain the rear end grease out of truck pull axles and lose about half of it on the ground. Then he'd crawl up under there right in the middle of it. Then he'd walk around all day and get everything greasy. I tried telling him that daddy was going to be mad for wasting that grease and getting grease everywhere. But the guy thought being greasy made him look like he was really doing something. If fact, he was so slow I was constantly telling him to hurry up or daddy would skin both of us alive. The truck drivers used to laugh at this and kid me that I had become the young boss man, telling everyone to work faster and harder. And of course, one day daddy came in the shop and grabbed something and got grease all over his hands and clean clothes. He fired the mechanic and almost fired me too.

The moral of this story is that spilling fluids and getting super dirty when doing mechanic work doesn't make you a better mechanic nor does it mean you are working really hard. It just means you're are either unlucky, kind'a nasty or both.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Nov 2016 at 07:54 pm.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The moral of this story is that spilling fluids and getting super dirty when doing mechanic work doesn't make you a better mechanic nor does it mean you are working really hard. It just means you're are either unlucky, kind'a nasty or both.
Or was NEVER a real GEAR HEAD !

Raise your hands for all the guys in High School in the 50's 60's 70's driving Hot Rod Camaro's, Cuda's,57's, Chevelle's, Mustangs etc. that hand no grease under their nails and smelled most of the time like grease!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Nov 2016, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Or was NEVER a real GEAR HEAD !

Raise your hands for all the guys in High School in the 50's 60's 70's driving Hot Rod Camaro's, Cuda's,57's, Chevelle's, Mustangs etc. that hand no grease under their nails and smelled most of the time like grease!
You're right. Just because you have bad personal hygiene does not mean you are a real gear head. We agree on that. Concur.

But this is really an odd set of conditions in order to raise your hand. First you have to have owned one these select cars in high school in the 50's 60's 70's even though only one of them was made in the 50's. Also that rules everyone that attended high school in the 1950's unless they specially own what would have then been an almost new 1957 model. And then there's the really odd one. You must have NO grease under your nails BUT still smell like grease most of the time.

So 57 Chevy? no withstanding, I think lots of folks can hit the first one as long they don't have to have owned a Camaro, Cuda, Chevelle, or Mustang in the 1950's. Sorry for the folks that are 74 years old or older unless they drove a new 1957 car in high school. You've made those poor guys out of luck.

And I figure at least half the forum member would have known how to clean there finger nails in high school, I would hope. But then while cleaning your nails, you don't know how to take a bath and get rid of the oily smell? Kind of a clean hands but dirty body scenario? That one I'm not so sure about.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Nov 2016 at 12:47 am.
Closed Thread