02 PT Exhaust melting bumper

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By apalomo01
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2016, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 02 PT Exhaust melting bumper

I have a 2002 non turbo pt cruiser Limited Edition with 180,000 miles on it. It used to have over heating problems, so it sat for a year, before i got it started again. Took it for a Tune Up, Had a purging of the fuel lines, fuel injector treatment, and had the Catalytic converter replaced along with a high speed fan relay sensor that fixed an old over heating problem. All oil leaks were repaired which covers recent work done.

Now after running much better for a car of it's mileage, it began having problems at idle, which got worse over time bringing codes of 0700, 1193, 1297, and 0108. I cleaned the throttle body to see if that was the problem, but just today after letting it run for a bit, the idle kept purging to higher RPMs without pressing on the gas and white smoke was coming from the undercarriage around the rear driver side tire by the muffler. When i went to the rear of the muffler i saw the plastic bumper begin to melt down on top of the bumper so i shut it off, but it looks like it's clogged or something. Thoughts? or any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Palomo
Old 24 Nov 2016, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT Exhaust melting bumper

Whoever changed the CAT might have hung the exhaust wrong and got it too close to the bumper which caused the melting. Should be about an inch space between the exhaust and bumper.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: 02 PT Exhaust melting bumper

That was my thought as well at first based on others threads, but when they replaced the catalytic converter, they replaced that by itself and not the muffler since i bought it online as a replacement. The codes look like they are pointing to a bad MAP Sensor, which a friend said could lead to the muffler getting hotter if it's running rich. It does have a strong gas smell and doesn't stay on by itself unless i'm riding the pedal. Since i plan to replace the muffler anyways, since it is the stock muffler, i've chopped it off so it wouldn't melt the bumper anymore. The remaining muffler ends right underneath the heat shield. Do you think the MAP sensor could be the issue? Or something else?

Anthony
Old 27 Nov 2016, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exhaust temperatures can get high when the engine is running too lean.

With all the codes and symptoms you have having, your problem is serious and can ruin your engine. I normally don't advise this because I think owners are usually better caretakers of their vehicles than mechanics. But in your case, if you are not sure about what you are doing, I would recommend taking it to a good reputable shop. I suspect it's either a bad map sensor, intake manifold leak or other vacuum leak. But it's impossible to diagnose based on what you have said.

As already recommend, there are guidelines to follow based on the codes you have. If you look online, you can find free ones if you don't want to pay. But again, if unsure, take your PT to a shop. Lean conditions that create super hot exhaust can easily ruin an engine.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was going to start to work towards cleaning the IAC valve to see if that wouldhelp based on one of the codes i saw and i noticed the MAP sensor was disconnected. Somehow the connection broke and it was hanging off. Once i reconnected it, the car was able to idle much better. Looking at putting a new muffler and running it a few days to see what codes remain. I'll keep ya'll posted.

On a separate note, i have taken this car to the shop many times to get professional advice on trouble shooting, but since this is a backup car, i look for and appreciate any advice given to me by other owners that just love keeping their PTs up and running. Thanks again.

Anthony
Old 27 Nov 2016, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your 5 volt feed going to the MAP sensor and IAT sensor. Make sure after the wire has been repaired that the 5 volt feed is below 4.90 volts.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Tags
02 pt, exhaust problems, muffler