PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
will the turbo engine mounts

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2016, 11:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default will the turbo engine mounts

fit a non turbo engine. my pt is a 2003 and im going to replace the mounts since im going to do a clutch swap. I figure I would use the turbo ones so the engine is more stable and don't rock as much.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 11:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: will the turbo engine mounts

my pt is a 5 speed base model
Old 28 Nov 2016, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The center right mount and top strut mount are usually the same. But the bottom torque strut mount for the turbo is different. Read this:

Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:00 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you for posting that information from Anchor Industries.

I, for one, am going to crawl back under my vehicle and check to make sure I have the right one for my application.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:15 pm
Young Cruiser

thank you
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 04:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That bulletin was dated 5 years ago. Anchor may have changed things since then. I bought the 2949 from Rock Auto in April and it had the same cutout as the "turbo" model but a smaller hole to fit my non-turbo bolt. The bolt fit perfectly and snugly without any slop and no binding.

The rubber bushing did not seem to be any beefier than the original. At $10 and 20 minutes of work, it really isn't too much of a hassle to replace (taking and replacing the splash shield is the biggest annoyance). Just check it when you replace your disc brake pads.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The ... top strut mount are the same. the bottom torque strut mount .............
That technical bulletin from ANCHOR is outdated.

As per ANCHOR, either part number may work according by submitted information from their largest retailers. The small bolt mount may be enlarged by drilling to fit the large bolt applications and the large bolt hole mount may be used to replace either. Also both part numbers now fit ATX and manual transmission model PT Cruisers

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:39 pm
Young Cruiser

I took the lower torque strut off my 2008 na, automatic, base model cruiser this afternoon and took it down to my local O'Reily's auto parts store where I bought it. Turns out it was the one for the turbo due to the larger diameter bolt hole in the large end. So they gave me the other one.

It's already been mentioned that the bulletin is outdated. I would like to say even if the bulletin was and is current, I believe point two of the issue is pretty much bogus. I say that because even if the bolt hole was a friction fit, the other end hole is elongated! So, it doesn't matter the fit at the large end hole, because the other hole can/may still slip and cause undo vibration and premature failure. The same thing with the top torque strut... the end hole that fits onto the frame/body is elongated. I know that the holes are supposed to be elongated to "set" the measurement correctly for the proper positioning/torque for the engine, but those holes negate the explanation of point two of the issue in the bulletin.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you follow the install as per the Factory Service Manual and proper torque the mount they will not slip.

In 5 years I have installed or helped other's install at least a dozen using the FSM as the guide and always ANCHOR Mounts.

But I do understand that owners of vehicles like to do things there own way and on the internet you can always find the answer that agree's with any thought you have about any subject.

I suggest if there are real questions about the ANCHOR mount to contact them.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Adding the cutouts to the 2949 would simplify manufacturing because they can eliminate an aluminum casting. Some engineer probably came up with that during his her Lean Six Sigma "Green Belt" project. But that doesn't change the application at all. You still need the 2949 for the NA and the 3169 for the turbo.

In many causes, calling the manufacturer is no better than going to a parts store. The call center person you talk to is just going to look up the parts number on their computer screen either way. Except for small mom and pop outfits, the engineer that designed the part does not answer the phones. What you have to look out for is the "old hand" clerk behind the counter at the parts store that just grabs the 2949 thinking it's universal, off-brand parts with haphazard labeling, and/or the bad seller-hand-jammed application guide on some websites like Amazon and eBay. These are where much of the confusion about these mounts comes from.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Nov 2016 at 09:51 am.