Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery light comes on periodically?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Battery light comes on periodically?

My daughter has a 04 Cruiser with a non-turbo 2.4. She called a week ago and said when she starts it the battery light stays on for about 30 seconds. When I was there on Thanksgiving it wouldn't start when she left for work. The battery was over 4 years old, so I figured it was going bad. O'Reillys was the only place open so I bought one there. It started right up, I checked the volts later that day and it was 13.4 with the engine off and 14.7 running. Figured it was just the battery, she called yesterday and the light came on again.

She drives less than a mile to work in the dark, so the lights are on and most of the time the heater. She didn't have school last week so I'm wondering it it's just not getting driven enough to keep the battery charged. Just a thought of mine. I haven't heard from her yet this morning to see if it's did it again.

Just looking for thoughts on this.

Bob
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery light comes on periodically?

Bob, the voltage at the battery as you described does not mean the battery is good. Even a newly purchased battery may not have been good? Have the battery load checked. Then get the charging system evaluated.

Nitro's way of checking a battery

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Nov 2016, 09:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response NitroPT. She lives 60 miles away, so I told her to take it back to O'Reillys and have them load test it. I'll quiz her to see how they did it and what they did.

Thanks,
Bob
NitroPT likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the battery checks out good and the generator wires are good what might be happening is the generator brushes could be getting worn down and not touching the armature all the time. When they lose contact the battery light would come on and go back out when the they contacted again.

Is the generator belt tight?

As NitroPT says to have the charging system evaluated.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:32 am
Regular Cruiser

I just talked to her and she hasn't driven it yet today. I was wrong on when the light was coming on. She said it goes off when she starts it, but comes on shortly after starting to drive it.

She's going to take it to O'Reillys and have them load test it. Told her to watch how they do it. I'll probably have to take some time off and run down there and look at it.

I'm assuming the belt is tight, since it's a serpentine one.

Bob
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest making sure when they do the battery load test that your daughter makes sure they input the correct amps in the tester that the battery is suppose to hold. Sometimes they just use the default of 400 amps for a 4 cylinder engine which is inaccurate and gives the wrong results.

You might also want O'Reillys have the OBDII diagnostic connector scanned for any engine trouble codes. If there are any codes write them down and post it here. Clear the engine trouble codes. Sometime replacing a battery may result in pending DTCs? ..
NitroPT likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 02:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

She text me mid morning and the light didn't come on this morning. The only code she has been getting is the gas cap code, she replaced the cap and the CEL hasn't been on since. I did the key trick and looked at the codes when I replaced the battery. Nothing there.

Bob
chuzz likes this.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a similar issue to my 2006 PT Cruiser as unioncreek. Started my car and the battery light came on with no error codes on the OBD reader I have. I replaced my battery within the last 6 months and also one of the terminals due to corrosion.

I brought it to O'Reilly's to have it tested. They said my batter and alternator are in good condition and fully functional. The gentleman was confused as to why it came on as well. When I turned the car off and back on the light did not come back on. Any other suggestions?
Old 23 Jan 2017, 02:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

My daughter has not had the problem since. I'm pretty sure that the alternator could not keep the battery charged enough. She would drive a mile to work in the dark, lights on and heater running. And drive home in the dark, lights on and heater running. Drive time was 10 minutes or less. Since she's back to school and work both she has not had the problem, since she has longer drive times and less use of the light.

Bob
Old 23 Jan 2017, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bob in most cases what you describe is a battery supporting problem not generator.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN