PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.4 N/A auto Throttle body on 2.0 manual..?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2016, 01:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 2.4 N/A auto Throttle body on 2.0 manual..?

Got a chance to get hold of the throttle body from a 2.4 non-turbo Automatic. It's not expensive, but not the sort of money you like to post down the drain.

I've heard it rumoured this can be a nice little upgrade to my 2.0 manual - but with some downsides on driveability - anyone got any clues as to what to expect before I cough up for it and wish I hadn't?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4 N/A auto Throttle body on 2.0 manual..?

Nothing really. Unless you are having an issue with your present TB spend your money where it will help.

Even on 2.4 the TB will be restricted @WOT because of the intake size. The 2.0 without other engine mods can not take advantage of a larger TB and you may actually lose low engine speed performance and MPG.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nuff said, thanks Nitro.
rob302 likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 03:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i would get it. nitro previously measured the restriction in the (2.4) intake at 51.45mm, so if yours is similar, a 52mm TB would be an ideal upgrade. it's more than the size, you also eliminate that weird plastic wedge affixed to the blade.

i did it here: throttle body differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
As mentioned by other members restrictions to the cfm rate of the intake charge can be effected from other sources other then the throttle body which can effect the engines output. As an example there is an area in the intake manifolds (both material types) that measures aporx 51.45 +/- 0.10. Which means that if you run a Throttle body with an open bore area of more then 52mm it is not really doing anymore for increased air supply. Also many measure the bore size and do not consider the CFM rate of a throttle body when talking about them. The throttle plate, throttle plate shaft and fasteners all reduce the total CFM rate so simply having a measure bore size of 52mm does not mean it is necessarily better then a well machined and built 51mm throttle body?

When doing a upgrade using stock available throttle bodies the upgrade may be for some that have the manual transmission throttle bodies that have velocity inducers attached to the throttle plate to improve engine efficiency during shifting. These type throttle bodies down fall is that they tend to reduce the total cfm flow even more then the late model PT throttle bodies and ultimately effect the engines power output. So upgrading to at least a factory automatic throttle body without the inducer will benefit most for some increase in the engines power.

To be clear I have never gotten many that have given me accurate measurements for stock throttle bodies. I have looked to try to find good technical data but have not yet to found any. And the internet information about the the different size throttle bodies for PT's seems to be wide and varied?
The only few I have measure were all the 52mm bore size throttle bodies on both manual and automatic transmission. I have only read about smaller throttle bodies but have yet to physically see and measure one?