Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trans Oil Cooler Leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2016, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trans Oil Cooler Leaking

I have a 01 PT normally aspirated and it has some hose issues with the trans cooler lines dumping fluid after the radiator was replaced by a shop. And it is a notorious problem when these hoses are removed. I would like to replace them.

The cooler on mine is located at the bottom of my radiator and is plumbed inline with the radiator base tank. The factory parts catalog shows it that way. And when I priced the three hoses it was a bit pushy so I went on a hunting expedition at my local parts yards. What I found was that on a couple of the turbo versions the cooler is located mid radiator and plumbed directly to the two ports on the trans. Almost a straight shot from the cooler to the trans. No radiator hookup.
The question at hand is if I can get the turbo mid-mount cooler and lines is that OK here in Michigan. The trans fluid is normally plumbed through the radiator to stabilize the temp in cold weather. Ant insights?

Thanx in advance! Bob
Old 01 Dec 2016, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trans Oil Cooler Leaking

I may have answered my own question

After some further digging in a same unit later model [04] parts manual it appears that they deemed it not necessary to plumb through the radiator. The mid-mount appears to be the result of the lower section being used for the turbo air to air cooler. Dunno why but who am I to question the Chrysler technical gods?! So it looks like I will just pirate the cooler from a later model and mount it mid point and eliminate this extra plumbing!

I still appreciate any insights. Thanx Bob!
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trans Oil Cooler Leaking

An idea would be to simply bypass the factory transmission cooler and go to after market some having improved cooling capabilities.

Tags
cooler, fluid, location, trans