PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating at 66k miles!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating at 66k miles!

I just bought a 2005 Dream Cruiser 2.4 turbo with 66k miles. I've put just over 1000 miles on it.

I just drove it 25 miles & when I shut it down, I heard gurgling under the hood. It sat for a little over an hour, and then I drove it another 15 miles. The temp spiked to the top & the dash light came on.

It idles rough, but I didn't know if that was because it's just a rough 4-banger. The radiator fluid is low in the reservoir. It wasn't before. There's no dripping underneath.

By the seat of my pants, it just doesn't feel like 220 hp. I'm comparing it to my 2005 Crossfire, with 225 hp. But, again, I don't have a calibrated seat.

Does this sound like a blown head gasket? Compression test…? I bought it from a dealer with a 7500-miles powertrain warranty, so I'm not too distressed. But I definitely want this addressed before 7500 miles are up!

I've read about the turbo oil return line that likes to clog. Could that be an ultimate culprit? I'm not familiar with the failure pattern here.

Thomas

Last edited by tleed; 01 Dec 2016 at 04:04 pm. Reason: additional info
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating at 66k miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleed View Post
I just bought a 2005 Dream Cruiser 2.4 turbo with 66k miles. I've put just over 1000 miles on it.

I just drove it 25 miles & when I shut it down, I heard gurgling under the hood. It sat for a little over an hour, and then I drove it another 15 miles. The temp spiked to the top & the dash light came on.

It idles rough, but I didn't know if that was because it's just a rough 4-banger. The radiator fluid is low in the reservoir. It wasn't before. There's no dripping underneath.

By the seat of my pants, it just doesn't feel like 220 hp. I'm comparing it to my 2005 Crossfire, with 225 hp. But, again, I don't have a calibrated seat.

Does this sound like a blown head gasket? Compression test…? I bought it from a dealer with a 7500-miles powertrain warranty, so I'm not too distressed. But I definitely want this addressed before 7500 miles are up!

Thomas
Welcome to the forum.

I am suggesting you are getting air in the coolant system. You need to do an coolant pressure test to find out where the leak is coming from.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Then where did my coolant go? Never seen any on the ground underneath. Hmm.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:21 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Since you have a warranty, I wouldn't do any work or repairs on your own, or you could end up voiding that warranty. I would take it back to the dealer, fully documenting the issues, and let them troubleshoot it. If it turns out to be something serious, they could buy it back or fix it under the warranty. Most people in your situation don't have any kind of warranty, so if I were you, take full advantage of it.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default look around for info

Welcome to the forum

I know you are new but really you should at least look around about the subject of cooling issues. It is most likely the top 10 talked about asked about threads on this forum for years. Dozens of threads about it even in the last few days!

Strange coolant loss

as for you feeling 220hp (as per advertised specifications) on a PT good luck! I would like to see those that real! I race mine and have had mine (05 GT in specified engine health) on a dyno so many times and can tell ya someone really stretched the data about that from Chrysler. LOL
cromagnondan likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Dec 2016 at 04:44 pm.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 06:09 pm
Banned

In addition, since you bought it from a dealer, try to find out if any maintenance records indicates if the timing belt work has been done on the vehicle? With such low mileage, it probably hasn't. But if they find something that can be fixed, like maybe a failed water pump, since they will have the area torn up, you could probably work out something with the shop to have the timing belt work done at the same time as their repairs. Could save you some money in the end, from having to have the area torn apart again for that work.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with those who say take it back but since you said powertrain warranty, be careful and read it thoroughly. You may be disappointed at what it actually covers.

For instance quoting a GMC powertrain warranty:
Quote:
These warranties are for repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

ENGINE
All internally lubricated parts, engine oil, cooling hoses and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.
Fortunately, many members on this forum is excellent at diagnosing overheating problems with the PT Cruiser and most problems are fairly straight forward (although some might not be cheap, many are not too bad)

and Welcome to the Forum
Old 01 Dec 2016, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with those that say take it back to dealer.
When dealer says it is fixed, start it, put the air on, and let it idle for at least 10 full minutes and watch the temp gauge.
If engine fan comes on and temp gauge stays at 1/2 mark, they truly fixed it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Dec 2016, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I've read about the turbo oil return line that likes to clog. Could that be an ultimate culprit? I'm not familiar with the failure pattern here.

Thomas

Quote:
Then where did my coolant go? Never seen any on the ground underneath. Hmm.
We need more information.

Did it overheat at high or low speeds?
Did the radiator fan kick in after it pasted the middle range of the temperature gauge?
Does the radiator fan automatically come on when you turn on the A/C with the engine cold?
Did you check to see if there was air the coolant system by taking the radiator cap off after you shut the engine off and let it cool off?
Old 01 Dec 2016, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The temp light came on on the highway. The temp came down slightly to about 3/4 when I turned the heater on full blast. Outside temps were in the 50's.

The car had been stable at 1/2 since I got it.

I don't know if the radiator fans kicked in. Couldn't tell.

I didn't try to kick on the radiator fans with the A/C. I haven't had the engine cold since it overheated.

Haven't checked air in the radiator yet. It was dark by the time I had time to do anything with it, and I figured I'd be better off seeking wisdom about what to look for first before I started poking around. Pretty sure I was right about that.

Thomas