PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Erasing Cel Codes ( ABS )

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2016, 09:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Erasing Cel Codes ( ABS )

Went to Advance after replacing my ABS Unit. Had them read my codes again. I wanted them to erase them to see if anything came back but he said they are not allowed to do so. So to add to this, I had read that the computer has to log 3500 miles before it will reset. Anyone heard of this? The Advance kid had mentioned 'After 25 start ups it should reset' This all sounds like snake oil and wondered what you all think. Can I reset this myself? Yes I tried unhooking the battery for a few days.
Old 05 Dec 2016, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Erasing Cel Codes ( ABS )

I have had ABS sensors go bad, and that did not trigger the CEL - it did trigger the ABS light to stay on.
Your CEL is on? What codes?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2016, 09:48 am
Cool Cruiser

As an automotive student.

Yes the 25 cycles is true. It will automatically erase the code and turn off the light after many start up and warm up cycles. So by the end of a month of normal use, It should turn off on its own. This is universal for all OBD2 vehicles. It is much easier to find someone to erase the codes, or find the self control to ignore the OCD from the light being on. Especially when you know for 100% you have fixed the problem and the light just needs to be reset.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 06 Dec 2016, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless the shop performed a repair directly on the ABS in which clearing to check for resolved issue is part of the process than it is most likely a liability concern and justly so to clear ABC diagnostic codes without doing any repairs.

It does not take 25 cycles if the problem was corrected to the ABS but only a single maybe *2 complete cycles. If longer than than that apparently there still a unresolved issues in the ABS system.
This is based on thousands of that performed work on ABS systems, myself friends and other associates that are ASE certified brake technicians. If the *ABS can not be cleared the problem was not corrected.

Remember above all your brakes will keep you and other alive...be cautious from any advise,information or recommendations on a forum and only trust a service shop specializing in brake repairs or the Dealership for accurate information and the best provided work on your vehicles braking system.

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk
Old 06 Dec 2016, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My question is whether an ABS fault will set the Check Engine Light. I know it will set the ABS light and perhaps the Brake light, but the CEL?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

ABS indicator

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Dec 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
ABS indicator
So, if his ABS light is off, problem ought to be cured. Codes will still be stored, but so what?

Old 06 Dec 2016, 12:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Iv'e been over this car and the trac, brake and ABS lights are all lit. The initial scan said that right front are right rear sensor no siginal. There was also some code for the "pump" then a code referring to a large leak ( Advance said it could be as simple as a gas cap ). Anyway I went over all four wheels, cleaned the tone rings dusted off the sensors, and went over the wiring diagrams. Working from the manual I found that the control module was replaceable in car and I set out to do that - when I took it off - this turned out to have been corroded and had a bad coil and several coil posts were corroded - I got a used ABS unit from another 2001 and transplanted it. Bled the brakes and everything is as it was before. Now I still don't think it may be working - then again I would need some ice to try it on but all the lights are still on. I think be because they are, it's not letting the unit run. Just a guess. After taking it back to Advance, the pump code is gone but the right side sensors still come up. I can't believe both are bad at the same time - buuuuuht... It's possible. Before I replace a bunch of parts I want to make sure. The " leak " code was gone as well , however a speed sensor low output code appeared. I did grab the two sensors from the same car in the junkyard and I'll swap them this weekend - just would like to erase the codes to see if they jump back up before I operate on it further.
Old 06 Dec 2016, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^For a DIY you have pretty much done all you can, now I recommend that you take it to a shop that specializes or has experience with brake diagnosis and repair.

If anyone doing repairs on any system or area of any vehicle starts replacing parts hoping and guessing that those parts are in fact faulty should stop and get help from someone that has experience and training to do the diagnostic work and determine if suspected parts that are in fact needing to be replaced. Although there are some parts that you could technically replace as a preventive maintenance program on a vehicle that has already been thoroughly checked with no issues or problem , it is NEVER a wise practice to simply replace parts on a hunch. Most of the time the act of replacing parts in that matter makes problem worse or enters new problems.

Tenacity to persevere starts to be a fine line with stubbornness to concede that one does not have the experience ,training level or knowledge to be successful at times DIY on your own vehicles..
Old 06 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser

That's good advice. I have a few more things to research and try, when that is exhausted I will have to take it to a Chrysler dealer. Since I've changed out the entire controller though, not much left to diagnose. It's either the computer or the two sensors. Don't worry too much as I don't have the car on the road yet. This has been a rescue of a badly neglected Pete. You should have seen the questionable rear e brake shoe mess that was back there!
NitroPT likes this.