Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2016, 07:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Foglight mystery ! Doesn't work with a fuse

Hello guys,

I tried to fix my fog light problem.
I bought the car with foglight down. Today I checked it the fuse box and as I expected, the fuse number 8 was missing.
Tried to add a 15~ fuse but the foglight kept down. Seems like the socket of my number 8 fuse is a bit damaged as long as the fuse I tried to plug in was not fittig well and wanted to escape

Any Idea of the problem? Fuse socket is broken? Anything I should check out?

Foglights Bulbs are in, the light seems to be pluged.
I removed the fuse #7 so we can compare the socket

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Seems like on export models, the fuse number 21, under the bonnet is fault so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

The MFS failure makes the foglights on all the time, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161209_134000.jpg (84.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by PtCabriFr; 09 Dec 2016 at 08:08 am.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 08:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Foglight mystery ! Doesn't work with a fuse

A short in the MFS can cause the fog lights to be on constantly and can only be resolved with replacing the MFS. That may be why the fuse was removed. Your on the right track for fuse checking. I've fixed a few MFS that have had only a worn "thingy" as the cause of dysfunction relative to turning the fog lights on. The last "thingy" repaired by resurfacing the worn point still didn't function 'cause a hidden burn in the innards of the MFS still prevented function. Check out some earlier threads on the Forum from me and others much more learned in the lure of the MFS for insight and sheer confusion. Those threads cover it all, ad nauseum. It'll at least give you a peek inside the MFS. If it proves your MFS is dysfunctioning for an irreparable reason I'd just replace it. Remember the washer assembly can be interchanged so you don't have to buy that too. Fixin' them can be habit forming! Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Dec 2016 at 09:11 am.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 08:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtCabriFr View Post
Hello guys,

I tried to fix my fog light problem.
I bought the car with foglight down. Today I checked it the fuse box and as I expected, the fuse number 8 was missing.
Tried to add a 15~ fuse but the foglight kept down. Seems like the socket of my number 8 fuse is a bit damaged as long as the fuse I tried to plug in was not fittig well and wanted to escape

Any Idea of the problem? Fuse socket is broken? Anything I should check out?

Foglights Bulbs are in, the light seems to be pluged.
I removed the fuse #7 so we can compare the socket

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Seems like on export models, the fuse number 21, under the bonnet is fault so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

The MFS failure makes the foglights on all the time, right?
Yes & Yes

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Dec 2016, 09:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtCabriFr View Post

....The MFS failure makes the foglights on all the time, right?
In most reported instances, that is the correct conclusion. However, my MFS did not allow my fogs to turn on. Neither the lights came on, nor did the green light in the dash. I simply replaced it and all was working normally then.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 09:35 am
Young Cruiser

What is a MFS??
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

MFS is short for the Lucas Multi Function Switch behind the steering wheel with the control stalk for your lights and additionally the added stalk assembly for the wiper controls. If you recall the history of deficiencys that can arise from Lucas electrical equipment over the years you'll understand the challenges of the PT MFS! Here's a photo of one gutted for a fix!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

The final solution MFS 001.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Dec 2016 at 10:15 am.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:45 am
Young Cruiser

Wow, that's quite the little conglomeration of contacts in there.

Thanks for the information.

I did not know about the electrical deficiencies from Lucas, but it's in the data bank now.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 01:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The MFS is the devils work ;-)

If you search my posts (there aren't many) you'll find one where I now have my front fogs switched by what was the window lock switch via a relay- it wasn't hard to do and took about an hour - and no extra switch to find a home for.
Carnut likes this.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 03:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

One other thing about fog light dysfunction. SOOO BIG came without the fog lights working. I futzed around with the MFS as a novice. Fuses, continuity, power flow and such only to find the lights themselves had burned out. Being finally enlightened to that I had Bubba mail me another set. They shown like the summer sun when first installed but stopped working the very next day.

Fortunately at that point a fuse blew and the lights weren't damaged. That's when over a period of a few weeks after taking the damn thing all apart with good advise from PTers much wise than me, I came up with the JGWeld PlasticWeld fix for the "thingie". The wear on the "thingie" was the culprete for the lights not activating and the short was a deteriorated compression spring on the "whatcha-ma-call-it" on the upper side of the interior of the MFS. I lucked out though. Some of the innards of the MFS are impossible to spot as damaged and the frustration is in the disappointment of what you consider to be a sure fix when it still doesn't work. What I saw and fixed were a worn thingie and a weak spring in the "whatcha-ma-call-it". All all too obvious to any experienced putzer.

My restored, repaired MFS and fog Lights have been workin' fine for now over nine months. Better-n-new!

. As you can see I use nothing but the most appropriate names for all these parts as is my literary license!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_1077.jpg

Last edited by ptprice; 09 Dec 2016 at 03:17 pm.