Advertisements
Mechanics gave up.... engine turns but won't start

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2016, 05:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mechanics gave up.... engine turns but won't start

Hi,
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser 2.4 non turbo that is used to be driven by my gf, leading to the car death it started overheating on her on and off, then started to run rough, and then had no guts what so ever, starts some morning and some won't, went to the mechanic stayed there for a while, and then the mechanic said it will cost lots of money to fix, he said that the car has a blown valve and not sure if that is all the problem,

I couldn't touch the car before because it was under lease, not we own the car and i can work on it, just started on it this week end, engine turns but wont fire at all not even attempt to, i'm very keen to take the mechanic opnion on bored about the blown valve

will pull the head out and inspect it

suggetions ideas are welcome as i love this car and don't want to see it die !!!
Old 10 Dec 2016, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mechanics gave up.... engine turns but won't start

Welcome to the forum

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 10 Dec 2016, 08:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Mechanics gave up.... engine turns but won't start

First of all, welcome to the forum. First of all, what is the current mileage on the car? Based on the repeated overheating you almost certainly have some cylinder head damage to deal with and/or a blown head gasket. Never is it good to continue to operate this particular car model in an overheat situation unfortunately that almost always results in damage. Have you been experiencing coolant loss or having to add coolant to the system? Based on your statements I think I would first perform a compression test and do a thorough inspection and see if you see any coolant leaks. Overheating on these Pt Cruisers in not an uncommon post on this forum. The radiator cooling fans are a known problem area, they do fail at a high rate. Even after you correct the mechanical problem the actual reason for the overheat will have to be found or you will be back in the same boat all over again. These are fun little cars to drive but must be maintained and never, ever, ever continue to operate the engine in an overheated condition! The cylinder head cannot take the abuse. Get a baseline on the compression on all cylinders and then update your results here. If you need help with the testing and how to perform a compression check many on here can offer help. Happy wrenchin!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 08:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. If this PT has a lot of miles on it, the first thing I'd do is disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and see if it will start. Maybe your catalytic converter is stopped up.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 10 Dec 2016, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend a full diagnosis before removing the head. Check compression in each cylinder as posted. Check for spark in each cylinder. Post the results of each cylinder.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Dec 2016 at 10:46 am.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are going to try to do what your "mechanic" couldn't, I suggest to go invest in a set of Factory Service Manual.
Everything you will need to get your PT Cruiser started can be found in them.

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Dec 2016 at 12:51 pm.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Ptcruisersteve, those two things will help you to justify the head needs pulled.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2016, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thx guys, the car has a 120 k on the odo, one of the things my gf complained about is the constant loss of oil on this car, which is after checking the engine bay on the weekend i can i understand why it's loosing all this oil, engine wall of stained will oil in all directions, starting from the rocker cover all the way down, I haven't done a compression test on the car, but i'm assuming the mechanic that had the car did.

over heating cars are common, if i get the engine to start i think the rest will be easier as we go along,

what i'm gonna do this weekend, have a good look at the engine bay and back to basics before i pull the head out.

Imakenocents: I don't remember the car loosing coolant or even leaking coolant, the car kept going back and forth to the mechanic workshop for overheating issues, which he suspected that the fan failed, he changed the fan and the problem continued then replace the car computer and the problem continued, then the engin died, and the mechanic last comment was your head has blown valves and will cost alot to fix
Old 11 Dec 2016, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkye2000 View Post
thx guys, the car has a 120 k on the odo, one of the things my gf complained about is the constant loss of oil on this car, which is after checking the engine bay on the weekend i can i understand why it's loosing all this oil, engine wall of stained will oil in all directions, starting from the rocker cover all the way down, I haven't done a compression test on the car, but i'm assuming the mechanic that had the car did.

over heating cars are common, if i get the engine to start i think the rest will be easier as we go along,

what i'm gonna do this weekend, have a good look at the engine bay and back to basics before i pull the head out.

Imakenocents: I don't remember the car loosing coolant or even leaking coolant, the car kept going back and forth to the mechanic workshop for overheating issues, which he suspected that the fan failed, he changed the fan and the problem continued then replace the car computer and the problem continued, then the engin died, and the mechanic last comment was your head has blown valves and will cost alot to fix
To reduce the amount of time it takes to find out what the problem is I would suggest you do a compression check on all cylinders and check for spark on all four cylinders. Proper diagnosis is important.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Steve, I just got off the phone with the mechanic that was working on the car, he said he did a comprission test on the car and it had no comprission on 1 & 3 and weak comprission on the rest. he said the he said to my gf there is a problem with the head either cracked or valves blown,

he also gave me a bit of a history on the car, which had failed a/c compressor / overheating problems / altenator / starter motor issues in the past

he said he hates working on cruisers and if had the option he wouldn't work on them, also it's really hard to find parts for them in australia

I rang around seeing what's the options of getting a spare head or even an engine and it was hard to find any.

does this model have a straight swap over engines ? maybe other modules or makes ? just considering my options for worst case senario