Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By nomad327
  • 2 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2016, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '05 GT Vert starting issue...

I thought I had it licked by replacing the starter switch, but I'm again having starting issues. All acc and lights work fine, actuator appears fine. Once every few days, when I turn the key, all lights on dash work fine, it just doesn't turn over. I can get it to start, sometimes by moving the steering column up and down roughly--when that doesn't work, I open the hood and let it drop. One method or the other does the trick, so I haven't yet been totally stranded anywhere.
I'm guessing a loose connection somewhere, and I've searched the forum to no avail, so I'm throwing myself at the mercy of those with more experience with the PT.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '05 GT Vert starting issue...

I would suggest the next time it doesn't turn over check the voltage from the ignition switch to the starter. See if you are getting 12 volts. Also check the starter relay. See if you are getting 12 volts to the starter relay.

When it happens make sure to check the battery voltage when you have someone else try to start it. Post what voltage you get.
Rayvin60 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Dec 2016 at 10:19 am.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

As a thought, there is a connector device called an ignition actuator pin located inside the steering column that drives the electrical switch from the actual key cylinder. (maybe this is what you are referring to when you say the actuator seems fine?) I am not sure what the problem you are describing is actually caused by, but if the key does not appear to be reliably operating the electrical switch it could be this piece. There are youtube videos showing how it is fitted in and how to replace it, and as an option, you could use some of the steps to remove the electrical switch from the column and operate it with a standard screwdriver for troubleshooting.
dashinson likes this.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will check for voltages when I get a chance. Got a new starter in there (7 months ago), have taken all the ignition components, mf switch, etc apart at least 15 or 20 times trying to resolve this problem, so I know the actuator pin is fine, and I replaced the ignition switch already. Does a worn starter relay start to fail intermittently, or all at once? I'll pop a good relay in there to see if that'll do it. The relay being the issue would make more sense to me, since dropping the hood will usually do the trick, so maybe the vibration is freeing up the stuck relay.
Thanks, PTCruiser and Nomad.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

for me starter relays always seem to fail in the on position

next time try having someone hold the key and simply wiggle the solenoid wire. my aunts van stranded her. i went to replace the starter and found the corroded spade terminal and cleaned it. been 5 years and it's still fine. i just cleaned it with my knife and dielectric greased it.