PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Going to Attempt Fixing Timing

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Going to Attempt Fixing Timing

Last year my timing belt broke and I took it to a mechanic that was recommended to me by a family member. He only charged $400 to replace timing belt and water pump which was a lot cheaper than a few other places. He got everything working but I believe the timing is a tooth off. I asked him to fix it but he insisted that it was an interference engine and there was probably damage which was causing the rough idle. There was a noticeable belt squeal afterwards that hasn't gone away that he wouldn't fix without charging me again. I didn't take it back to him and I was happy to find out he went out of business. Recently I've started working from home so haven't needed the car much but next year my son will be going to school so I'll need a reliable car. We were actually gifted a 1999 Jeep Cherokee last weekend that my wife's grandfather bought new but since he stopped driving he no longer needed it. It runs well but has a few issues so I need to decide which is worth keeping, 1999 Cherokee with 193k miles or 2005 PT with 93K miles. First thing is to get the PT back in shape since I won't get much if I decide to sell it in the current state.

Now to my question...
What kinds of specialty tools will I need? I watched a few videos and it looks like I need at least a breaker bar and a puller for the crankshaft dampener. I saw one video where you didn't need to remove the A/C lines so that is the method I want to try. While I have it apart, I'll probably replace the tensioner if it is a tooth off since the mechanic did not.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Going to Attempt Fixing Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Now to my question...
...did you check first before assuming that the work was not done correctly?
Idling rough and a belt sound is not necessarily a sign that the mechanic timing is incorrect.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Sorry, I should have clarified. It does have a rough idle but you can also tell even when accelerating that something is off. It just doesn't sound right which lead me to thinking the timing was off. A guy that lives in my new neighborhood also said it sounds exactly like his PT when he replaced his belt and had it one tooth off. I did check to make sure there was nothing loose and it was running well before getting the timing belt replaced.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

getting the timming DEAD On seems to be one of the biggest problems and 1 tooth will make a huge diffrence
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Going to Attempt Fixing Timing

Contrary to popular myth the Chrysler 2.4 engine is not a true interference engine. In other words the valves will not contact the pistons in a timing belt breakage situation. However, with that being said, there is the possible scenario where the intake and exhaust valves can contact one another in this situation if the cams get out of time with each other when the belt breaks. That scenario, still would at the least, require head removal if the valves did contact one another. The other rare possibility would be if the head surface had been milled previously, which I doubt yours has been, then the reduced clearance between the valves and the pistons could remotely be a possibility.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
Contrary to popular myth the Chrysler 2.4 engine is not a true interference engine. In other words the valves will not contact the pistons in a timing belt breakage situation. However, with that being said, there is the possible scenario where the intake and exhaust valves can contact one another in this situation if the cams get out of time with each other when the belt breaks. That scenario, still would at the least, require head removal if the valves did contact one another. The other rare possibility would be if the head surface had been milled previously, which I doubt yours has been, then the reduced clearance between the valves and the pistons could remotely be a possibility.
Yeah, that could be a possibility but would like to rule out the timing first. It has never been milled. This is the only major issue we've had with the car. Fan and control arms had to be replaced but those were simple.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You cold not cut enough on a 2.4 head to cause a problem with clearance before you would render the head useless. Check the piston to deck and valve max lift stock specification. The effective surfacing can be up to .060 however if I have to do more then a maximum .030 I find another core.

The 2.4 is not an interference engine but if the intake and exhaust cams are allowed to rotate uncontrollably freely they could align in such a position to hit each other valve head not the piston. Very, very, very rare happening?

There is still no real information provided yet that points to the camshafts out of timing phase?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You cold not cut enough on a 2.4 head to cause a problem with clearance before you would render the head useless. Check the piston to deck and valve max lift stock specification. The effective surfacing can be up to .060 however if I have to do more then a maximum .030 I find another core.

The 2.4 is not an interference engine but if the intake and exhaust cams are allowed to rotate uncontrollably freely they could align in such a position to hit each other valve head not the piston. Very, very, very rare happening?

There is still no real information provided yet that points to the camshafts out of timing phase?
What would you recommend checking first before tearing everything apart to check the timing belt? The battery is dead currently from the cold snap we had but I'll be pulling it into the garage next week to start checking things out and first see where the belt noise is coming from.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
What would you recommend
1. Charge and load test the battery.
2. Using a diagnostic scanning tool check, note and clear any DTCs at the OBDII diagnostic connector. Test drive for about 20 miles or 45 minutes engine running and recheck.
3. Check the engine vacuum reading at idle only and note needle position and movement variances.
4. Check all the intake and operating hoses.
5. Clean or replace IAC.
6. Do a compression check.

Then evaluate findings.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
1. Charge and load test the battery.
2. Using a diagnostic scanning tool check, note and clear any DTCs at the OBDII diagnostic connector. Test drive for about 20 miles or 45 minutes engine running and recheck.
3. Check the engine vacuum reading at idle only and note needle position and movement variances.
4. Check all the intake and operating hoses.
5. Clean or replace IAC.
6. Do a compression check.

Then evaluate findings.
Good list. Thanks for the help.