PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Woes

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2016, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Woes

So just did a head gasket and timing job on a 04 pt non turbo. It starts perfect and it idles better than it ever has. I have yet to put on the crank pulley for wanting to make sure everything was good to go. Unfortunately although it runs and idles flawlessly the car will not rev past 2500rpm. I question the timing but like stated previously it runs so nice I am not so sure. Especially when I reset the timing several times to ensure it was perfect. I was just curious on other input before I light it on fire. I just don't see it being timing due to the fact it idles so nice. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Woes

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Unloaded engine rev is PCM limited to between 2500-3500rpm
VsandFords likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2016, 04:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the forum

Unloaded engine rev is PCM limited to between 2500-3500rpm
Is that so knuckleheads can't blow it up in the driveway?
NitroPT likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Dec 2016, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think it's the electric cutoff due to the fact I can only walk it to 2500. It idles at 700rpm revs to about 1500 fine. But upon reaching around 2000 it start fumbling waiting on a scan tool It threw a light. I'm hoping it's just something stupid I missed I really don't feel like tackling it again lol
Old 14 Dec 2016, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxiamdrewxx View Post
I don't think it's the electric cutoff due to the fact I can only walk it to 2500. It idles at 700rpm revs to about 1500 fine. But upon reaching around 2000 it start fumbling waiting on a scan tool It threw a light. I'm hoping it's just something stupid I missed I really don't feel like tackling it again lol
Good to see you are waiting on a OBDII Scan tool as I wouldn't start working on my PT Cruisers without one next to me.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
You know...please do not take this personal as it seems to be common on this forum but the more information initially supplied when asking a question for help is always better!

Glad to read that you are getting a scan tool. One of the main purposes for a diagnostic connector is to be able to shorten engine issues solutions and not guess at things like "old School" days gone by fixing drivibilities issues on none ECU vehicles.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2016, 07:50 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 14 Dec 2016, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
A code reader is a must even for us old school folks. In the mean time, did you do the "key dance" to retrieve the code? On my 2005 GT, it would run in a sort of limp mode with the camshaft sensor unplugged. The code or codes may indicate cam sensor failure. If so, it could be one of several things like being unplugged or the sensor magnet missing after head work (if done).
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
So just did a head gasket and timing job on a 04 pt non turbo. It starts perfect and it idles better than it ever has. I have yet to put on the crank pulley for wanting to make sure everything was good to go. Unfortunately although it runs and idles flawlessly the car will not rev past 2500rpm. I question the timing but like stated previously it runs so nice I am not so sure. Especially when I reset the timing several times to ensure it was perfect. I was just curious on other input before I light it on fire. I just don't see it being timing due to the fact it idles so nice. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Doesn't the crank pulley run the alternator? Do these cruisers run without the alternator? I know my chevy truck will not run when the belt breaks...instant stop.

My wife's Kia will not rev up sitting in park. It's limited on the rpm's. Like Nitro said....limited.

If you don't have the alternator running, I would think that would be a reason for a code to appear.