PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Difference in VIN codes

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Difference in VIN codes

As most of us do, I seem to be always searching for parts for my 05 GT turbo and I run across this same issue all the time. My VIN code (8th digit) is "G" but when cross referencing parts I see that there are several codes for the same year GT turbo. What is the difference in these engines having different codes. I see "S", "8", "G", "X", "E", "B" and maybe some others? Some parts require the code others just ask for the year, make and model. Can get very confusing.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Difference in VIN codes

It shouldn't be confusing? You simply follow the request of the parts portal you are using to get a needed part? Why would you worry about every engine/combination/running gear that may have come in your PT Cruiser?

If you have a question contact the supplier or the manufacture of the part to try to better your chances of getting the correct part?

Unfortunately there are a lot of inaccurate parts look up programs used in the aftermarket parts industry and the more information that you can provide for your specific vehicle will help reduce getting the wrong part.

I can tell you first hand every week ordering parts at the shop using all the information requested something always comes in wrong!!!
Old 15 Dec 2016, 07:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not worried about every other engine combo, if you look, I ask what the difference was between them all. When I go to order a part and it doesn't specify "G" I need to know if that particular part will work for my application. If you know the answer that's fine but please don't be condescending, no one likes to be answered like that. You know sometimes people like to know things just to have the knowledge.

Last edited by War_Eagle; 15 Dec 2016 at 07:26 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your not reading what I said and reading things into what I didn't mean!

There are way to many listings variations for all the VIN codes as I tried to hint in the first response.

But you can like I am sure many other will do is research the answer on the internet and post the information they find.

I looked it was easy! And I can't find things as good as other on the internet.

Other wise maybe follow my advise in the first response as I advise often on this forum when shipping for parts?
Old 15 Dec 2016, 08:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Listings for what? You talking about parts look up and im talking VIN codes. It was a simple, straight forward request. What is the difference between a 2005 GT Turbo VIN code "G" and a 2005 GT Turbo VIN code "8" for Example? This is the internet and these folks seem to have more knowledge than most about the PT's.

Last edited by War_Eagle; 15 Dec 2016 at 08:39 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 08:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Difference in VIN codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
As most of us do, I seem to be always searching for parts for my 05 GT turbo and I run across this same issue all the time. My VIN code (8th digit) is "G" but when cross referencing parts I see that there are several codes for the same year GT turbo. What is the difference in these engines having different codes. I see "S", "8", "G", "X", "E", "B" and maybe some others? Some parts require the code others just ask for the year, make and model. Can get very confusing.
Sir, I cannot answer the specific question you have concerning specific differences in the vin code for your 05 GT turbo but with that being said I will take a stab at the basis of your question if I understand it correctly. Many cars and aircraft for that matter have multiple parts suppliers. Some parts are very specific to a year or some peculiar configuration thus on a car the reason for multiple vin codes because something somewhere is different on that configuration. However, with that being said, if a parts site or supplier does not break out your specific vin code for the part you need it would probably mean that specific part is applicable to all 05 GT turbos. With that being said another part you may need for your car may be that difference I was referring to that makes it vin specific and hopefully the parts supplier will show that on their site or parts store software program for parts. In a nutshell while some parts for your car are vin specific others are not so the vin will not be listed. If the vin is listed then make sure you purchase the part for your vin code. On aircraft we call that the usable on code. Some are specific, other parts cover the whole airframe fleet on that model. I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. I can't speak for Nitro but I think he was saying the same thing in a different approach.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe this will help:

War_Eagle and JimBippy like this.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 09:21 pm
Banned

Check out the link below from the "SIMILAR THREADS" listed directly below the last post on this thread. It's the first listed thread below. Post number nine in that thread in particular.

What's the difference between Turbo engine codes B, G ane E

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 15 Dec 2016 at 09:24 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 12:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin and Jerry, still some debate on it but a much closer answer to what I ask. I appreciate it, now have a starting point for further investigation.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Happy we ALL answered much the same information for you!

4 someone else the C-130s are as mixed up looking up parts as many cars

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Dec 2016 at 09:50 am.