Thoughts on the use of gatorback poly-v belts

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2016, 04:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Thoughts on the use of gatorback poly-v belts

I recently repaired a 2002 Pt Cruiser Touring Edition that had a defective cylinder head and when going back together I used the Mopar accessory drive belts that were on the car when I started the project when it went back together. They had a bit of a squeal and I wasn't sure the amount of time they had been on the car so I changed them over to Goodyear Gatorback Poly-v belts. I think they are now Continental Elite branded belts. Long story short they are very quiet running belts. Anybody have any info on the durability of these belts? I like the results so far.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 04:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Thoughts on the use of gatorback poly-v belts

I have had them on my car for several years, ever since I did the timing belt on it. Like any other belt as they stretch and wear the alternator needs occasional adjustments.
I have also used them on other cars and they perform well.
wwpptc likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 17 Dec 2016, 12:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Thoughts on the use of gatorback poly-v belts

i'm a little weird with belts. i also have no automatic tensioners, and always use the least tension i feel i can get away with.

i like to use a gatorback on my supercharger because slip = less boost. it's also easy to change as it's farthest out. i feel like with this belt i can have more grip with less tension, but for a shorter period of time. since it affects boost it's worth the shorter lifespan to me. i think the gatorbacks have the most initial grip, but once contaminated or old they are more prone to slipping due to less surface area contacting the pulley.

i like to use a gates on my alternator and waterpump because initial grip on these isn't as important to me, so i'd rather have a little less grip for a much longer period of time. if i stomp the gas and it slips a little i don't care as it just takes drag off the engine. as long as the battery charges and the water pump is spinning i'm happy

i've also used the Dayco belts they have everywhere.. i hated these for no actual reason, but they're growing on me, mostly due to a great warranty and availability. i would say they're just like the gates.

not a mechanic, more of a mad scientist and car abuser. so just my 2

Last edited by rob302; 17 Dec 2016 at 12:18 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2016, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think I have tried every brand available over the years both on my vehicles and customers. I have also been a dealer,retailer and distributor for a few of the top brands over the years. I can't say I found any better than others even in performance applications. It really is about the installation that makes belts work well. Or fail badly!
I prefer the Goodyear Gators mostly because some of them (specif part numbers) are in fact nosier than any other brands with that bit of whine which is music to my ears if you like being "blown"!!
Old 17 Dec 2016, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i'm a little weird .... the most grip, but once contaminated or old they are more prone to slipping due to less surface area contacting the pulley.
car abuser
^^^^

Time to invest in a small bead/sand blaster for your shop. If you treat the pullies you will substantially reduce belt spillage even if they get dirty or oiled (withing reason).

25 GAL BENCH TOP SANDBLASTER CABINET SANDBLAST SMALL PARTS HEAVY DUTY BLASTER HD | eBay
JimBippy likes this.