2001 PT Cruiser wont start

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2016, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser wont start

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser, that as of Saturday night nothing was wrong with. I started it up about 11:30pm on Saturday night and it ran for about half an hour before I drove it for about fifteen minutes. It then sat the rest of the night until Sunday morning. It was extremely cold Saturday night into Sunday morning. I heard that are official temp on Sunday morning was -37 degrees, with out the wind chill. Hence the reason for starting it up on Saturday night.

Anyways on Sunday I went to go and start the PT, along with our other car, and the battery ran down. On both cars. But as the temp rose some I took a battery booster pack and was able to get our other car running. I tried later on the PT and still wouldn't start. Monday (yesterday), I tried this again as our temps were much warmer. Still nothing. I tried jumping the PT off our other car and still nothing.

The starter works, and the engine rolls over, but will not start. Monday night I managed to get the PT into a garage, thinking maybe it just needed to warm up a little more.

As of this morning it still will not start. It acts like it wants to but then I get nothing. I have yet to check for spark.

Oh and I replaced the battery on Monday night.

I just learned how to check codes, and the only code it gave me was P 1648, which after doing some looking on here just seems to mean that the battery had been disconnected, which of course it had been on Monday night when I replaced it.

I did watch a video earlier today of someone fixing a car, and they said that when you crank the engine, the rpm gauge should move, when I did this on the PT, the rpm gauge did not move.

As I said nothing was wrong with the PT on Saturday night.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, or on what I should maybe check next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser wont start

I would suggest putting some starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts to run.

If the starter fluid does not start the engine then I would check for spark in every cylinder with a spark checker.
http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-...ker-69014.html
Imakenocents likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Dec 2016 at 01:37 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 01:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: 2001 PT Cruiser wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresar8183 View Post
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser, that as of Saturday night nothing was wrong with. I started it up about 11:30pm on Saturday night and it ran for about half an hour before I drove it for about fifteen minutes. It then sat the rest of the night until Sunday morning. It was extremely cold Saturday night into Sunday morning. I heard that are official temp on Sunday morning was -37 degrees, with out the wind chill. Hence the reason for starting it up on Saturday night.

Anyways on Sunday I went to go and start the PT, along with our other car, and the battery ran down. On both cars. But as the temp rose some I took a battery booster pack and was able to get our other car running. I tried later on the PT and still wouldn't start. Monday (yesterday), I tried this again as our temps were much warmer. Still nothing. I tried jumping the PT off our other car and still nothing.

The starter works, and the engine rolls over, but will not start. Monday night I managed to get the PT into a garage, thinking maybe it just needed to warm up a little more.

As of this morning it still will not start. It acts like it wants to but then I get nothing. I have yet to check for spark.

Oh and I replaced the battery on Monday night.

I just learned how to check codes, and the only code it gave me was P 1648, which after doing some looking on here just seems to mean that the battery had been disconnected, which of course it had been on Monday night when I replaced it.

I did watch a video earlier today of someone fixing a car, and they said that when you crank the engine, the rpm gauge should move, when I did this on the PT, the rpm gauge did not move.

As I said nothing was wrong with the PT on Saturday night.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, or on what I should maybe check next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, by the way, you say you replaced your battery, was it new or used, fully charged? The rpm gauge is not a good indication to develop a diagnosis. With the wide variation of car makes and models, that does not apply in every situation. Some car makes and models have no rpm gauge movement during cranking. When you turn the key to on position there should be a 3 second fuel pump prime where you can hear the fuel pump run. Do you hear the pump run when turning the key to the on position, not to start, just to on? Also if you have an obd 2 scan device you can see if you have any diagnostic codes stored. I would check for that fuel pump prime before doing anything else.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 02:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Ya gotta have 4 things for an engine to start. Spark, fuel, compression and air. I think you may have some water in the fuel and it's frozen, but I'm NOT a mechanic. Try the starting fluid in the intake and see if she runs. If so, then you know you have some type of fuel problem. If not, then check for spark and compression.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

So here is where I sit at the moment, car pt was still dead when I wrote.

The pt is still dead. Thinking it's the plugs, cables, or coil, I bought a tester. Have nothing out of cable one or two, going to replace all plugs, since I have everything off always, along with the wires and coil.

Should I replace anything else since I'm this far?

Oh and what is the bwd switch/fuse thing, what does bwd stand for, and where is it located?

Thanks a bunch to anybody that contributes.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 03:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you don't start throwing parts at it. You might be making it worse to diagnose the problem if the new parts are bad.

Are you not getting any spark from cylinder 1 & 2?

Can you hear the fuel pump running if you turn the ignition to the "On" position?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Dec 2016 at 03:03 am.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, you can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on, and no I had no spark out of #1 or #2.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing I would suggest you do is check the wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM. On the 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers there has been issues with the wire harness clamp breaking and the wire harness rubbing on the half shaft allowing the wires to be shorting each other. This can make your cylinders not receive any spark. You will need to get underneath the engine to check the wire harness.
chuzz likes this.