Odd Overheating(warming) Issue - Tried Searching

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2016, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Odd Overheating(warming) Issue - Tried Searching

Hello all, "new" to me owner and new to the boards. I've been roaming the forums here for awhile and finally decided to register awhile back, you guys have great stuff here! And awesome DIYS.

Okay, to the issue. 2001 PT Cruiser 2.4L Non-Turbo.
I recently noticed one day while on the freeway in stop and go traffic the temp needle rose above half way. Quickly! I turned the heater on full blast and windows down to help control it, made it home with no issue. Decided okay it must be low on coolant possibly, searched and got dexcool orange. Waited for engine too cool, went to add thru radiator cap and there was PLENTY. Waste of $15 for pre mix dex.. Did some more research and saw the thermostat was easy enough to do and went ahead for the $8 (edit: just placed old t-stat in boiling water, turns out it was fine to begin with). Also when I replaced the thermostat, I went too use the bleeder valve and it would only dribble, never shoot out strongly like videos of shown. Does this help indicate anything?

Still have the issue though after t-stat replacement! It will be doing fine and then rise from normal too, to about half way, then above halfway and then park itself between half and 3/4 before I turn on heater.

What I've somewhat self diagnosed.
It's not the water pump, I have plenty of heat when idle or parked. If that logic applies, t-stat is replaced. A/C blows very cold at idle(it's az so still hitting almost 70 degrees for testing purposes) however I have realized something these past few days. When cruising around an AC is off is when it gets warmest quickest, and then once I turn AC ON(Heat or Cool, just knob to blue side of settings) the temperature comes down and stays at or below the halfway mark and never gets as high as with it off.

Thank you and much appreciated any feedback

It kind of does this, but my normal temperature is just above 2nd line and inbetween half ways. It comes back down like that once I turn A/C or Heater On, and or it lowers by itself with AC always off once it almost reaches 3/4 mark of temperature guage.
Never ever moved from there until this past couple of weeks. Car has NEVER been hotter than that. It shouldn't even be remotely the head gasket should it??

Last edited by JDMoore89; 21 Dec 2016 at 08:26 am.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Odd Overheating(warming) Issue - Tried Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMoore89 View Post
Hello all, "new" to me owner and new to the boards. I've been roaming the forums here for awhile and finally decided to register awhile back, you guys have great stuff here! And awesome DIYS.

Okay, to the issue. I recently noticed one day while on the freeway in stop and go traffic the temp needle rose above half way. Quickly! I turned the heater on full blast and windows down to help control it, made it home with no issue. Decided okay it must be low on coolant possibly, searched and got dexcool orange. Waited for engine too cool, went to add thru radiator cap and there was PLENTY. Waste of $15 for pre mix dex.. Did some more research and saw the thermostat was easy enough to do and went ahead for the $8 (edit: just placed old t-stat in boiling water, turns out it was fine to begin with). Still have the issue though! It will be doing fine and then rise from normal too, to about half way, then above halfway and then park itself between half and 3/4 before I turn on heater.

What I've somewhat self diagnosed.
It's not the water pump, I have plenty of heat when idle or parked. If that logic applies, t-stat is replaced. A/C blows very cold at idle(it's az so still hitting almost 70 degrees for testing purposes) however I have realized something these past few days. When cruising around an AC is off is when it gets warmest quickest, and then once I turn AC ON(Heat or Cool, just knob to blue side of settings) the temperature comes down and stays at or below the halfway mark and never gets as high as with it off.

Thank you and much appreciated any feedback
There are two speeds on the radiator fan. From what you have posted your high speed on the radiator fan might not be working properly. When you turn on your A/C your low speed on the radiator fan comes on automatically.

I would suggest you unplug the radiator fan and apply 12 volts to the high speed to see if it is working properly. You don't want to be putting the engine in danger of overheating. this should be done immediately.
Imakenocents likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Dec 2016 at 10:25 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
There are two speeds on the radiator fan. From what you have posted your high speed on the radiator fan might not be working properly. When you turn on your A/C your low speed on the radiator fan comes on automatically.

I would suggest you unplug the radiator fan and apply 12 volts to the high speed to see if it is working properly. You don't want to be putting the engine in danger of overheating. this should be done immediately.
Thank you for the rapid reply! How could I apply 12v to the fan? Do you have to ground the plug also? Also I'm automotive smart when following a guide.. I'm not sure where to do this at. My apologies
Old 20 Dec 2016, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you for the rapid reply! How could I apply 12v to the fan? Do you have to ground the plug also? Also I'm automotive smart when following a guide.. I'm not sure where to do this at. My apologies
One of the pins at the radiator plug is the ground and the other two are for high and low speeds. I usually just hook up the battery for the 12 volt source for ground and power feed.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
One of the pins at the radiator plug is the ground and the other two are for high and low speeds. I usually just hook up the battery for the 12 volt source for ground and power feed.
10-4... When it's day light ill look for a electrical connection on the radiator.
So for clarity... I should see a plug with 3 pins? And if I run say some basic wiring with some small gator clips on the end of them, one clipped to battery, other leading to this connector I should be able to notice a difference in the speeds once power is applied to the pin? What are symptoms of a bad speed(noise, poor movement etc?) or will it not just work flat out.

Also could a bad temperature sensor cause this?

Many thanks again!!
Old 21 Dec 2016, 02:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
10-4... When it's day light ill look for a electrical connection on the radiator.
So for clarity... I should see a plug with 3 pins? And if I run say some basic wiring with some small gator clips on the end of them, one clipped to battery, other leading to this connector I should be able to notice a difference in the speeds once power is applied to the pin? What are symptoms of a bad speed(noise, poor movement etc?) or will it not just work flat out.

Also could a bad temperature sensor cause this?

Many thanks again!!
If you have a 1st generation PT Cruiser you should only have 3 pins on the radiator fan plug. If you have a 2nd generation PT Cruiser you will have 4 pins. If you have a 2003 GT turbo you will not be able to check the radiator fan as it is a variable fan that needs special equipment to manually get it to run.

Usually it will not run but sometimes if the brushes are barely touching they can work intermittently.

Usually if your engine temperature sensor is not working properly your engine light would be on and you should get a OBDII diagnostic engine trouble code reflecting this.

I would estimate that 90 percent of the time the radiator fan is bad when it is overheating and 10 percent of the time it could be the radiator fan relay, bad wiring, etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Dec 2016 at 02:17 am.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
If you have a 1st generation PT Cruiser you should only have 3 pins on the radiator fan plug. If you have a 2nd generation PT Cruiser you will have 4 pins. If you have a 2003 GT turbo you will not be able to check the radiator fan as it is a variable fan that needs special equipment to manually get it to run.

Usually it will not run but sometimes if the brushes are barely touching they can work intermittently.

Usually if your engine temperature sensor is not working properly your engine light would be on and you should get a OBDII diagnostic engine trouble code reflecting this.

I would estimate that 90 percent of the time the radiator fan is bad when it is overheating and 10 percent of the time it could be the radiator fan relay, bad wiring, etc.
WOW AWESOME! Thank you in that case I will lay off the $15 ECT sensor, can I replace only the radiator fan motor if it is bad? Or do I have to buy a $80-90 full shroud replacement online? Also, the signs of it actually being bad is the whole speed or fan itself won't actually come on right?
Old 21 Dec 2016, 11:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

alternatively, if you know anyone with a GOOD scanner, you can turn the fans off and on from the driver seat to check them. i'm spoiled as my friend has a shop and lets me play with his Snap-On Solus Ultra. it has bi-directional functions so i can turn stuff on and off instead of removing it to bench test.

if you have a friendly repair shop near by they might let you try it this way for small $$. just a thought as the fan area is cramped and it's no fun to work there.