Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Warped Head Gasket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2016, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Warped Head Gasket?

I just bought a 2008 PT Cruiser and to say the least this things been nothing but a headache. It test drove fine and so my dad said to buy it. It wouldn't start up the next day. Got it to start and we drove it to get the engine codes read (engine light popped on) the coolent started bubbling so we stopped it. Well we finally got it home. We have replaced the battery, spark plugs, the wires, thermostat and radiator cap. It started up today and now it's billowing white vapor from the exhaust (if you put your hand to it your hand gets wet.) is this a warped head or possibly just a bad head? The coolent AND oil are super clean.

Also it's now leakin water so I'm pretty sure I have to replace the water pump. Do y'all do this at home or take the cars to the mechanics?
Old 24 Dec 2016, 03:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Warped Head Gasket?

i did the waterpump/timing belt at home. it took 7 hours.

the water vapor in the exhaust is normal to a point, regardless of type of car. if you have water vapor after driving for 30 minutes, then i'd assume it's an issue.
Old 24 Dec 2016, 03:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

is it leaking from the head? or the waterpump, or??

do you have a lemon law where you live? returning it (or threatening to and getting partial refund) is also a possibility. here in IL you have 3 days. anyone selling something in a shady way like that deserves to be confronted, and you deserve some money back, imo. i actually enjoy flipping out on people like that and i'm a reeeeeaaallly nice guy

Old 24 Dec 2016, 04:47 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 24 Dec 2016, 04:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
is it leaking from the head? or the waterpump, or??

do you have a lemon law where you live? returning it (or threatening to and getting partial refund) is also a possibility. here in IL you have 3 days. anyone selling something in a shady way like that deserves to be confronted, and you deserve some money back, imo. i actually enjoy flipping out on people like that and i'm a reeeeeaaallly nice guy

Did you buy it from a private party or lot?

They might have had some kind of a chance to return it, but since they've already done some repairs to it, they probably voided any return right that they may have had.
Old 24 Dec 2016, 08:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowdarkside View Post
I just bought a 2008 PT Cruiser and to say the least this things been nothing but a headache. It test drove fine and so my dad said to buy it. It wouldn't start up the next day. Got it to start and we drove it to get the engine codes read (engine light popped on) the coolent started bubbling so we stopped it. Well we finally got it home. We have replaced the battery, spark plugs, the wires, thermostat and radiator cap. It started up today and now it's billowing white vapor from the exhaust (if you put your hand to it your hand gets wet.) is this a warped head or possibly just a bad head? The coolent AND oil are super clean.

Also it's now leakin water so I'm pretty sure I have to replace the water pump. Do y'all do this at home or take the cars to the mechanics?
Welcome to The Forum from PA.A little about your PT Cruiser please Mileage and Model will help..
If your near 100,000 miles the timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump should be replaced. I find also the the two speed cooling fan on the NA are at close to end of life which will cause overheating while sitting at red lights or idling. Over heating while driving is a more serious matter.

Over heating must be avoided to maintain head gasket sealing.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 24 Dec 2016, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i did the waterpump/timing belt at home. it took 7 hours.

the water vapor in the exhaust is normal to a point, regardless of type of car. if you have water vapor after driving for 30 minutes, then i'd assume it's an issue.
It completely cleared up after about 5 minutes of driving. We left and just came home, started it up and it's not smoking anymore. It's still gulping air though
Old 24 Dec 2016, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Welcome to The Forum from PA.A little about your PT Cruiser please Mileage and Model will help..
If your near 100,000 miles the timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump should be replaced. I find also the the two speed cooling fan on the NA are at close to end of life which will cause overheating while sitting at red lights or idling. Over heating while driving is a more serious matter.

Over heating must be avoided to maintain head gasket sealing.
It's are 100,038 miles at this moment. I guess we will be going to the mechanics to get all that changed our and hopefully it'll be running good again.

As far as WHERE it's dripping I cannot get under the car to see.. it's coming from the left side of the engine (when you're facing the front of the car)
Old 24 Dec 2016, 09:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowdarkside View Post
It's are 100,038 miles at this moment. I guess we will be going to the mechanics to get all that changed our and hopefully it'll be running good again.

As far as WHERE it's dripping I cannot get under the car to see.. it's coming from the left side of the engine (when you're facing the front of the car)
While the area is torn apart, you should consider replacing: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, 2 cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount. Having it done at a dealership, using OEM parts, will be around $1200-$1500.

Last edited by rckstein; 24 Dec 2016 at 10:32 pm.