Advertisements
Conversion - Auto to Autostick

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Conversion - Auto to Autostick

I've seen a few threads inquiring about the option, but no specific details. I'm looking for a thread with specifics on the conversion, to see the difficulty and hardware requirements. Thanks.
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45
Old 25 Dec 2016, 12:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Conversion - Auto to Autostick

This is one I'm still working on.

My 2nd Gen 2007 Touring Edition has the wiring for the Autostick. But when I added the Autostick shifter and a custom Stage 1 PCM designed for Autostick, there was still no joy. Currently my Autostick shifter works the same as the regular auto shifter.

Best I and others that have worked on this issue can figure, the BCM (body control module) on both 1st and 2nd Gen PT's is incorporated into the instrument cluster. And the BCM controls the Autostick. This means that to add Autostick, you would either have to reprogram the cluster or add the cluster from a PT that came with Autostick from the factory. PCM programming for the Autostick may or may not be required.

For me, this will mean adding a GT instrument cluster since I already have everything else I believe is needed. And there's usually GT clusters for sale on eBay in the $100 range. This will likely be a spring time project for me along with a few additional improvements I have planed for my PT "Super Bee".

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Dec 2016 at 12:38 am.
Old 25 Dec 2016, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate the details and response, buddy. Merry Christmas!

It's difficult to believe, 15 years after its inception, this conversion hasn't been completed? I thought I heard that the guy with the white PT & 19" Caliber SRT4 wheels, had completed?
**2007 Chevy HHR LS - Transition to LT - 18" Solstice Wheels 235/45 & 225/45
Old 25 Dec 2016, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes it is kind of weird that after all of these years nobody has posted a DIY conversion process yet.

But I think Handy is correct, all you need are the shifter, wires and cluster. This is pretty easy in the first gens since a cluster from another car that has a different VIN programmed in it, will still work perfectly, with no codes shown. (There is a code that only the dealer can see with their special programmer, but for all intents and purposes, there are no codes and no check engine lights or anything)

So, in theory, if you swap in the shifter and cluster from a 1st gen GT, and the wires are present, then the autostick will work. This is also how the autostick conversion works on LH cars, Intrepid/Concorde/LHS/300m, and has been documented on their forums. I suppose They could have made the system more complex on the PT and changed it, but I doubt they would reengineer something, they have already done. But, who knows, and until someone tries it, it is all just speculation for now.

On the second Gens, it may be more difficult since I think if you change the clustrer with one that has a different VIN, the canbus programming may not be as forgiving and may set a code and/or check engine light. Hopefully Handy can score a cheap GT cluster in one of his yards and check it out.

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to all!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 25 Dec 2016 at 09:46 am. Reason: Christmas Greeting