PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Came to a stop sign the car suddenly sputtered and that is where she stayed! HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2016, 11:57 am
Young Cruiser

Default Came to a stop sign the car suddenly sputtered and that is where she stayed! HELP!

So i pulled up to a stop sign. and all of a sudden she sputtered and died. Killed the battery trying to start it again. Each time i tried to start it she would turn over and sputter for a second or less and die. I got her home and put another battery to it and used starting fluid down the throttle body and she would run. shes a 2008 base model with 130,000 miles. how can i tell if its the fuel pump or the computer? Any help would be appreciated. Happy Holidays!
Old 25 Dec 2016, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Came to a stop sign the car suddenly sputtered and that is where she stayed! HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinikal View Post
So i pulled up to a stop sign. and all of a sudden she sputtered and died. Killed the battery trying to start it again. Each time i tried to start it she would turn over and sputter for a second or less and die. I got her home and put another battery to it and used starting fluid down the throttle body and she would run. shes a 2008 base model with 130,000 miles. how can i tell if its the fuel pump or the computer? Any help would be appreciated. Happy Holidays!
Looks like you have answered your own question, its not getting fuel. Check for blown fuse, Check for ground and 12 volt at the pump which has 4 wires, two for the fuel gauge and 2 for the pump. I just changed my pump, hard starting.... Check to see if you hear the pump running for a few seconds when you turn the key to ignition, Or check for pressure... I lift the rear seats, cut a 3 sided hole in the carpet and floor, disconnect power, fuel line, .... Replace pump.... no need to drop tank.
If you ar not versed in tools needed you could get burnt by causing spark with steel tools.... You could pick up a used fuel pump for a late model cheap.. at recycle yard if needed.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 25 Dec 2016, 02:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Came to a stop sign the car suddenly sputtered and that is where she stayed! HELP

Nice. Thank you. Where can i get access to the wires without pulling out tank? Any color codes to the wires? What would be the best way to cut a 3 sided hole without pulling the tank? Pump definitely is not "whirring." Thank you!
Old 25 Dec 2016, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you attempt to get access to the fuel pump I would suggest finding which wires go to the fuel pump first.

On the PT Cruisers that are manufactured in 2006 and up the fuel pump is controlled by the TIPM. I would suggest doing a battery load test to make sure the voltage is not dropping. The TIPM is sensitive to voltage drops.

On 2008 PT Cruisers they are not equipped with a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump control is done through the TIPM. The TIPM receives an input signal from the PCM. Once the TIPM receives the signal, it will output a 12 volt supply to the fuel pump module turning the pump on.

I would suggest applying a 12 volt feed directly to the fuel pump to see if the fuel pump is working properly. If it does work properly then you need to find out if the TIPM is faulty causing the fuel pump not to run. Verify you are getting 58 +/- 5 PSI if the fuel pump starts to run with the manual 12 volt feed.

The link below had a member that had the TIPM causing the fuel pump not to work properly.
Fuel pump relay

This is what the TIPM looks like.
2006 IntegratedPowerModule.jpg

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Dec 2016 at 03:25 pm.
Old 25 Dec 2016, 05:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you again. Pump is bad and needs to be changed. I got the pump and i just cant figure out how to disconnect the fuel line. got the electrical connector off just can't get the fuel line off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161225_171910.jpg (93.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 25 Dec 2016, 09:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinikal View Post
Thank you again. Pump is bad and needs to be changed. I got the pump and i just cant figure out how to disconnect the fuel line. got the electrical connector off just can't get the fuel line off.
I would not remove the gas connection until you get rid of all the dirt on to f the pump.. Blow it off-- wash it off ..but you must clean it first.

To remove the gas line just push in on the black keeper near the end of the fitting whil gently pulling the gas line. Wip up any spilled gas....... PLEASE

You may want to check for power first as there have been ground problems, with out ground to the pump it will not work even if you have 12 volts to a body ground.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip

Old 26 Dec 2016, 12:16 am
Young Cruiser

[QUOTE=JoeX;636164]
If you ar not versed in tools needed you could get burnt by causing spark with steel tools....

Could you explain that please?
Old 26 Dec 2016, 02:47 am
Senior Cruiser

[QUOTE=tourhar;636194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
If you ar not versed in tools needed you could get burnt by causing spark with steel tools....

Could you explain that please?
Using steel tools hammer -punch- can cause a spark and if your not careful with spilled gas a fire.

Even static could cause enough spark to care a fire.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip