PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Touring or GT?

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2016, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Touring or GT?

Hi Friends, I have a 2004 2.4l limited touring pt cruiser that's turbocharged. My question is since it has turbo is it a GT also? And do I also have the performance engine? If not or so what are the differences if anyone knows?
Old 26 Dec 2016, 11:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Touring or GT?

You have the same exact engine as the GT, however there are two differences which give you less power and torque than the GT. First, the computer has a lower performance tune on it and second, the muffler is a bit more restrictive than the GT muffler. The biggest difference comes from the computer, but both of these together give you, as advertised by Chrysler, 20-30HP less than the GT and similar numbers less in torque.

You can achieve very close to the GT specs just by swapping in a GT computer to your car, once it has the vin reprogrammed to match your car.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 02:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknowitall View Post
Hi Friends, I have a 2004 2.4l limited touring pt cruiser that's turbocharged. My question is since it has turbo is it a GT also? And do I also have the performance engine? If not or so what are the differences if anyone knows?
You can have a Limited Edition or a Touring Edition, but not both in the same car.
Aside from the engine computer as myckee noted, GTs could also have trubo engines with a manual transmission - your is automatic.
GTs always have brakes that have fatter front discs, and I think always came with ABS and 4-wheel discs - they were extra-cost options on Limited and Touring models.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Dec 2016, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here are all the main differences:

First, a Touring or Limited model with the turbo option is unofficially called a "Turbo Lite". Also, the 2003 GT is kind of unique and designates a drive train option rather than an edition as in following years. There is no 2003 Turbo Lite.

Turbo Lite - PCM tuned for around 180 hp on regular fuel.
GT - PCM tuned for up to 230 hp on premium fuel (hp is year model dependent - 2003 is lowest).

Turbo Lite - 120 mph speedometer (white dials in 1st Gen)
GT - 140 mph speedometer in most (silver dials in 1st Gen)

Turbo Lite - 41TE Automatic Transmission w/regular shifter
GT - Getrag 5-speed manual or 41TE Auto Tranny w/Autostick shifter

Turbo Lite - Cloth seats, Leather Optional (year model dependent). Colors were same as Limited and Touring editions for those years.
GT - 2003 Leather Optional, 2004 thru 2006 Leather Standard, 07-08 optional? Most 1st Gen GT's have black interiors but there are exceptions, mainly in the convertible models. 2nd Gen GT's could have beige or dark gray interiors.

Turbo Lite - 1st Gen (2004-2005) Dash bezels painted color of car body.
GT - 1st Gen Fake Carbon Spotted dash bezels (2003), silver bezels (2004-2005). 2nd Gen all silver.

Turbo Lite - 4 wheel disc brakes optional. ABS optional.
GT - 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS standard. Larger front disc on 1st Gen GT.

Turbo Lite - 16 inch chrome or alloy wheels. These were mainly a subset of chrome and alloy wheels offered as options on Limited and Touring editions.
GT - 1st Gen, 17 inch chrome or alloy 5-spoke American Racing "GT" wheels. Variations on 1st Gen Dream Cruisers. 2nd Gen, 17 inch chrome or alloy wheels in several variations. Chrome "Empire" rims are a notable example.

Turbo Lite - 1st Gen "Touring" exhaust with optional chrome tip. (I believe same as GT in 2nd Gen?)
GT - Larger diameter exhaust with chrome tips.

Turbo Lite - Standard door lock pulls and steering wheels unless with optional chrome package. Silver pedals optional.
GT - Chrome door lock pulls and silver accented steering wheel (optional in 2003). Silver pedals on 2004/2005 models.

There are likely exceptions to all these items. Enthusiast often try to develop sets of rules to describe different aspects of the cars they drive. But car manufacturers tend to make little alterations during production due to supplies and other considerations in manufacturing. So your mileage (and your PT itself) may vary.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Dec 2016 at 10:56 am.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 11:41 am
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG came the MSUS LIMITED EDITION Badge but additionally on the build sheet are listed the SDCS TOURING SUSPENSION. The build sheet lists the TP1S P205/55R16 BSW AS TOURING TIRES that I've always replaced with similar tires mounted on the original WD9P 16X6.0 ALUMINUM CHROME CLAD WHEELS. Also included is the MYCP SIGNATURE SERIES ans he came with the AEEP FACTORY CHROME ACCENT GROUP.

AS far as the touring suspension is concerned, I feel it has a superior ride and handling characteristics over the standard PT suspension. It has a firmer ride, more sense of the "feel of the road" and tighter turning radius eliminating the famous PT "K" turns that I see so many PTs preforming. I feel, as factory suspension, the touring suspension package is best by far of anything offered be Chrysler on our PTs. It rivals some "sports cars" I've driven. SOOO BIG is blessed not to have the ABS brake package. The challenge of every decent driver who know how to pump a brake peddle to safely stop!

Is it unusual to have this great combination of packages? do you think it was a special order or a great dealer promotional package?

I've only made four modifications to the chrome package. I've added an aftermarket chrome grill during his reincarnation when I went with a standard front bumper cover as a replacement. SOOO BIG has the chrome belt trim that Chrysler forgot, a set of chrome tail lights and my own signature "PRICE'S" chrome script.

This chrome grill is a family heirloom having been on my son Steve's PT soon after he got his PT when the factory started producing PTs. He waited almost year after he ordered it as Chrysler figured out all the gremlins on the Mexican assembly line before starting production. I'm sure a lot of our long time PT Cruiser Forum members went through this same wait for their first PT back in the day. After a few front bumper knocks Steve decided to remove that 14 year old chrome grill and give it to me before it got torn up. It looks as good on SOOO BIG as the day it came out of the box and I think it has a beefier look than the thin original chrome package grill that was originally on SOOO BIG.

That photo of SOOO BIOG in the rain was during the hurricane Matthew. We'd escape the intensity of the storm by hoofing it cross state to west Ocala from Ormond Beach, FL. The wind was still bad enough to blow off one of SOOO BIG's famous noodle door guards. They're only rated to 25MPH!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_0906.jpg

corrected N in LIMITED EDITION emblem 002.jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 004.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg
VsandFords likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^^^^ As far as I know, there was only 1 steering gear ratio for all PTs.
I have read there were differences in the turning radius due to larger diameter wheels having fatter sidewalls, and the difference in the width of the engine/transmission between manual and automatic equipped PTs impacted turning radius, but that's it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Dec 2016, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
^^^^^^^^ As far as I know, there was only 1 steering gear ratio for all PTs.
I have read there were differences in the turning radius due to larger diameter wheels having fatter sidewalls, and the difference in the width of the engine/transmission between manual and automatic equipped PTs impacted turning radius, but that's it.
Maybe so, but SOOO BIG can turn on a dime and give you five cents change! Happy Ptin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Where would I buy this performance chip and how do I reset the vin or whatever and also does anyone know where I can buy good quality performance parts?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknowitall View Post
Where would I buy this performance chip and how do I reset the vin or whatever and also does anyone know where I can buy good quality performance parts?
Lots of threads on these items. The legitimate "chip" you want is a performance PCM (computer). For street performance this is usually referred to as a Stage 1 PCM. Both FWD Performance and Syked ECM Tuning can provide these. Just search for PT Cruiser and Stage 1 on Google. Lots of threads on this forum will show up. Look at the latest threads. They will be the most accurate because this stuff is now much cheaper than it once was and users can now afford to experiment with different combinations.
Old 02 Jan 2017, 03:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

A tune will wake your car up, making it more powerful then a gt model in most cases(Diablo tuner or Skye's)! But u will have to run premium, so take that into consideration.

2004 PT GT 5-Speed! Project "THE RIDDLER"!!!
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-5-speed.html