Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cam Timing Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2016, 06:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Cam Timing Help

After doing some reading and checking the How-Tos, I think I goofed. I have the head bolted down but the cam gears are not lined up and the motor is on TDC. I assume to get the gears lined up I need to remove the head? Can someone verify if that's correct.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam Timing Help

Did you install the camshafts after you installed the head?
Old 27 Dec 2016, 08:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Cam Timing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
After doing some reading and checking the How-Tos, I think I goofed. I have the head bolted down but the cam gears are not lined up and the motor is on TDC. I assume to get the gears lined up I need to remove the head? Can someone verify if that's correct.
Not sure where you are currently at in the process but here is a good rule of thumb. If you do have the #1 cylinder at TDC (crankshaft alignment marks on the block and crank gear lined up) When installing the camshafts ensure the gear alignment pins for the cam gears are facing straight down. This will keep you in the vicinity of where they need to be before doing the fine tuning movements of the cam gears when installing the timing belt. I have always installed my cams after the head has been installed I just make sure the cam gear alignment pins are as I stated, straight down with #1 cylinder at TDC.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I really suggest that you find a Chiltons, Haynes,AllData or top of the list Factory Service Manual and review the steps before of the timing belt R&R before you get to many responses that are not exactly accurate or truly helpful regarding a Chrysler USA gasoline DOHC 2.4 engine!
Old 27 Dec 2016, 08:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can remove a spark plug and stick something down into the hole that sticks up at the top of the cylinder head. rotate the crank one way until it drops down a hair, say 080, make a measurement, go past top dead center find that measurement in the other direction of rotation. Then measure the Center between those two marks. There's detailed write-ups on this online, usually for V8's. I'm sure this is not necessary for what you're doing, but it'll answer your question. Other way is to make a piston stop, rotate it until it stops, make a mark. then rotate it until it stops in the other direction, make another mark. Then find the Center of the two marks.

Last edited by rob302; 27 Dec 2016 at 08:28 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 09:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Cam Timing Help

As I was saying this man does a good job of explaining what I was trying to say in my post. Watch the video from the 13 minute to the 14 minute section. This is always my method as well and it works out just fine. This man is incorrect in believing this to be an interference engine as you will see if you continue to watch the video but his method is spot on. I will give him a break, after all, he is ASE certified.