PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Better looking intake manifold available?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2016, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Better looking intake manifold available?

Hi, I have a (new to me) 2008 PT convertible, with the non-turbo engine. Since it has more than 200,000 miles, I will be doing the spark plugs soon.

Does anyone know of a better-looking intake manifold I can put back on the car? That black plastic spider-looking thing looks like the packing you get inside the box of a new appliance to protect the device during shipping. If there isn't a better intake, is there a cover to go over the factory intake?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Joe
Old 28 Dec 2016, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Better looking intake manifold available?

The Aluminum intake can be polished up very nicely.

[IMG][/IMG]

NitroPT manifold madness

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Dec 2016, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

All non-turbo engines have the same intake. No aftermarket available that i know of. Do you have the vanity cover that fits on top of the intake? They can be added to any non-turbo engine and can be painted or decorated to your liking. I had the intake chromed and also added the chrome vanity cover after this picture was taken. Other accessories in the engine bay can also be worked on to enhance the way the bay looks.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

For a non-turbo PT, a vanity cover is the way to go. These came stock on many 2001 PT's and salvage yards are full of them. You will need the cover, the three mounting studs and the brackets that the studs screw into if the same brackets don't have holes for the studs already in them on your PT.

Here's a write up on this from our buddy, Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
To put a cover onto a PT that did not come with one, you want to get all the parts: cover, studs, throttle cable bracket, throttle cable clip.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Dec 2016 at 11:09 am.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've asked here before about the possibility of using the aluminum turbo manifold on an N/A engine.

I remember 'back in the day' on another PT forum that someone had done this but some minor mods were necessary, but I don't remember anything about it. Pretty sure there was DIY mod report posted then but I can't find it.

If I could find it I'd be putting a turbo aluminum manifold on my 02 N/A cruiser.

When the 03 Turbos first came out I figured the manifold would always be unavailable for a reasonable price so I never really checked into it.

I seem to recall that only some mods on the mounting of the throttle body and living with a repositioning of the throttle body was needed.

Sure wish I had followed up on it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 28 Dec 2016, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I thinkg the manifolds might be the same im not sure and I don't have a turbo btu they look a lot alije
Old 28 Dec 2016, 03:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
I've asked here before about the possibility of using the aluminum turbo manifold on an N/A engine.

I remember 'back in the day' on another PT forum that someone had done this but some minor mods were necessary, but I don't remember anything about it. Pretty sure there was DIY mod report posted then but I can't find it.

If I could find it I'd be putting a turbo aluminum manifold on my 02 N/A cruiser.

When the 03 Turbos first came out I figured the manifold would always be unavailable for a reasonable price so I never really checked into it.

I seem to recall that only some mods on the mounting of the throttle body and living with a repositioning of the throttle body was needed.

Sure wish I had followed up on it.
it's on this forum, but they didn't follow up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmember
I swapped my plastic intake out with a powder coated GT intake, There was some minor changes that had to made the Coolant intake has to be moved. The second and more important change the non Turbo intake has 3 vacuum lines the GT intake only uses two. I used a T - on the Vacuum line to the brakes and its worked just fine. As for the HP gains it small, but I did notice the milage got slightly better. The GT intake is louder than the stock intake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6banger
youngcruiser, Forget anything people tell you here that is "negative" concerning this swap. I just did the Turbo manifold to N/A swap and it is a huge success. I have some posts on it over on PT Crew. The '06 plastic GT manifold from the turbo is much wider than the stock N/A one and flows much more air and is completely redesigned. You will feel a seat-of-the-pants difference right from the start. This is probably the one best change you can make on a N/A along with a good cold air intake and free flowing exhaust. The entire cost was $250.00 and about 8-10 hours of work. You will have to fabricate some brackets, skin some knuckles, and will swear quite a bit, but once done, it is all worth it. If your PT is a '03 and newer, than it will be that much easier as you don't have to deal with the EGR hook up like I did on my '01. I say go for it.......check over at PT Crew , a couple of other guys have done this and this inspired me to do mine!!!...
Quote:
Thanks, I have pics, I just have to figure how to up load them.(they are too big, I have to down size them)...I also have a complete parts list with part numbers of everything your going to need including dealing with the '01-'02 EGR tube at the back of the manifold. I will get it posted ASAP!!!
Quote:
I will get everything up and loaded this week......Stay tuned!!
Old 28 Dec 2016, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
it's on this forum, but they didn't follow up on it.
WELL then id say that will work???
Old 28 Dec 2016, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Darn, now I'll have start pricing turbo aluminum intake manifolds. Especially if it's that simple. Wonder if the Turbo Throttle body will work along with the manifold on an N/A engine?
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 28 Dec 2016, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

yes..

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN