Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 transmission problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 transmission problem

Ok so new here and have searched internet in hopes to find answers so maybe someone here can help. I have a 2001 crusier that all sudden while driving decided it didn't want to shift gears and the engine just raced like I was in neutral. What research I did I tested the solenoid pack terminals #4 and #8 and got OHMS of 1.6 which is in range of the .5-9ohms. Tested the input and output speed sensors got 543 which was considered low so I replaced both of the sensors(cost effective for now).

After replacing the sensors the car ran great as normal for about 2 miles, it shifted up and down went in gear smoothly, just like it was fixed. Then back to can't seem to get out second gear and first gear seemed to "whine" until it shifted. While trying to get it home if I went above 30mph it went in "neutral" state and wouldn't engage a gear until I dropped to around 10mph.

I am hard pressed to think its mechanical as it seems if I undo the battery a bit it works, but then again didn't like the "whine" noises. After 2 days of internet can't seem to find any fixes as people just stop updating.

Any help here what I can do or where/what I can test. I am a very handy guy know how to turn a wrench and work a multimeter. Later today I will borrow my buddies blutooth OBDII scanner but that won't be for good 9 hours so lets see if I can try something in meantime

Thank you
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 transmission problem

First things first. Have you ever changed the fluid and filter and if so, what type of fluid did you use? The Mopars use ONLY ATF+4 fluid. Secondly, I'd suggest you check your connection to your solenoid pack. There's an 8mm bolt right in the middle of it. I'd disconnect the battery, and then undo that bolt and clean the connection and check the solenoid pack for leakage. Put the connector back on and make sure it's fully seated and tighten it. Then drive it and see what happens. You may just have a bare wire somewhere losing contact. Not an easy chore to trace them down, but a little time and patience can help. Good luck with it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 10:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 25 Jan 2017, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
First things first. Have you ever changed the fluid and filter and if so, what type of fluid did you use? The Mopars use ONLY ATF+4 fluid. Secondly, I'd suggest you check your connection to your solenoid pack. There's an 8mm bolt right in the middle of it. I'd disconnect the battery, and then undo that bolt and clean the connection and check the solenoid pack for leakage. Put the connector back on and make sure it's fully seated and tighten it. Then drive it and see what happens. You may just have a bare wire somewhere losing contact. Not an easy chore to trace them down, but a little time and patience can help. Good luck with it.

ok so here is an update maybe you have advice again for me. I have done everything you said and it worked monentary like as in a few miles again. I went ahead and bought the valve shift solenoid pack and again it ran fine for a few miles even longer this time. The trans fluid is still like new red color as previous owner did the change. One thing is constant.... after battery is disconnected for a bit it runs fine for short period.

now a bit history and why i got the car for only 700.00. The dash randomly quits all gauges die except fuel level and a single red light will come on in the center. It was a gamble of whether it was the computer or dash cluster that may be an issue. I didnt care if i had gauges car ran fine for a year even took me from Pennsylvania to Mississippi and back.

Now with that bit of information after i had battery disconnected for repairs when i did my test drives all my dash gauges came back working fine. Now I am over 200.00 in this so far and my next step is computer replacement. I have heard of reflashing a computer at half the cost but I would be more inclined tojust spend the full 200.00 for a rebuilt with the warrenty. Any suggestions?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 02:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't know what else to tell you, man. Like I said, I'm NOT a mechanic. I just work on my own stuff. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion or two. Someone definitely knows about getting the PCM reprogrammed. I'm not sure who, but someone here on the forum actually does that. Of course, you'll have to do without the PT for a few days.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest taking the PT Cruiser to a transmission repair shop that offers to check for transmission trouble codes for free. The OBDII Scan tool usually does not recognize transmission codes.

Tags
limp-in, no shift, transmission problems