PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are NAPA parts (timing belt, water pump, other belts) of a good quality?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2016, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Are NAPA parts (timing belt, water pump, other belts) of a good quality?

Hello!

I think I like to live dangerously. My 2008 PT Cruiser Touring Non-Turbo AT has 110.400 miles and I haven't replace the timing belt yet..... AFAIK it has the original one.
I've being planning replace it for at least 6 months, considering between do it by myself or in a shop.
After a long research, I found a NAPA auto store (one hour from where I live) where the estimate is quite good: less than $800 with all parts included (including timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner and idler pulley, alternator, serpentine, serpentine idler pulley and tensioner, etc). They provide 3 years 36.000 miles warranty.

But I'm not sure if NAPA parts are good. Judging by the warranty, they might be. I'd like to hear from you buddies . Are those parts good ?!? Have you ever had any problem with them? Does it worth investing in them ??

By the way, most of other estimate I had locally were between $990 and $1,450

thanks a lot!
Lucas
Old 29 Dec 2016, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Are NAPA parts (timing belt, water pump, other belts) of a good quality?

NAPA is the shops first choice of parts. As I have posted these parts will go miles and years trouble free service.

There are no guarantee's with anything in life so do your best to follow only the Factory Service Manual for any procedure on your PT Cruiser and carefully examine all the new parts before installing them.
lrbbs likes this.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 11:26 am
Banned

Default Re: Are NAPA parts (timing belt, water pump, other belts) of a good quality?

Are you saying that a shop you are using will be using NAPA parts? Or are you buying the parts from NAPA and doing the work yourself?

If a shop is doing your work, and they provide a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty, that's pretty good. From a dealership for the work, you could expect $1200-$1500 using OEM parts, and the most I have seen from a dealership is 12month/12,000 mile warranty.

Also, while you are having the work done, you should consider having the center motor mount replaced, along with the cam seals and crank seal, could save you in the long run.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPA basic warranty on parts is 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty.

DIY or shop.

However dealerships warranty for work performed varies. Because most dealerships are privately owned businesses each usually sets their own standards and policies regarding the service of vehicles not covered from the manufactures warranty period set by federal regulations in the USA . You may even see in the parts departments of some a NAPA POP sign.
Some dealerships OWN NAPA auto parts stores.

So if a dealership uses NAPA parts I am sure that the question asked in this thread Re: Are NAPA parts (timing belt, water pump, other belts) of a good quality? would still be YES!!!
lrbbs likes this.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPA gets their parts from many different manufacturers and suppliers just lke the other parts stores do. But traditionally, NAPA has catered to shops rather than just walk-in customers. For this reason, NAPA has attempted to offer parts with enough quality that they do not cause an issue for the mechanics that install them. NAPA has not always been successful at doing this. But this seems to have always been their goal.

Don't get caught up in warranty length. The stores like Autozone started this lifetime warranty thing as a gimmick to get more walk-in customers. In general, folks only own their cars for a few years. And since the warranties are not transferable, they end when the car changes hand. Companies like Autozone factored this in from the beginning and knew they would only be replacing a small fraction of the parts they sale.

Car enthusiast like on this forum are an exception to all this. Some of us may own vehicles for many years. Thus we do well when we buy items such as brake pads with a lifetime warranty since we may get several free sets as we keep our cars for a decade or more.

NAPA has never really bought into this to this long and/or lifetime warranty gimmick as much as the walk-in stores have even though NAPA does now seem to market to walk-ins more than they once did. Again, the warranties are generally just long enough to help the shops that buy them and that's it. This has nothing to do with the actual quality of the part.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Dec 2016 at 12:10 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok some corrections..auto zone was not the first to offer a lifetime warranty and a chain auto parts US company called GRAND AUTO in the early 70's before the auto zone stores. They actually started promoting the offer that caught on around the 80's with many auto part retailers.
Many NAPA stores do offers some parts with a lifetime warranty and that really depends on the location and who their distributor is.

BTW I know a lot about autozone as I was one of 13 (Parts Center) that set the policies and standards for operations in the 500+ retail stores and the foundation special order program that is still used by them and a few other very well known and popular auto parts chain stores in the US.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the next few weeks I plan to replace my water pump with TURBO model AIRTEX water pump on one of my NA PT Cruisers.

Water pump any to avoid ?
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Dec 2016 at 01:17 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
In the next few weeks I plan to replace my water pump with TURBO model AIRTEX water pump on one of my NA PT Cruisers.

Water pump any to avoid ?
Old 29 Dec 2016, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Ok some corrections..auto zone was not the first to offer a lifetime warranty and a chain auto parts US company called GRAND AUTO in the early 70's before the auto zone stores. They actually started promoting the offer that caught on around the 80's with many auto part retailers.
Many NAPA stores do offers some parts with a lifetime warranty and that really depends on the location and who their distributor is.

BTW I know a lot about autozone as I was one of 13 (Parts Center) that set the policies and standards for operations in the 500+ retail stores and the foundation special order program that is still used by them and a few other very well known and popular auto parts chain stores in the US.
Okay. Some corrections required, I guess.

No one in this thread said that Autozone was the first to offer lifetime warranties. Somebody didn't wear their reading glasses. And Grand Auto or whomever wasn't the first either back in the 1970's. Early cuneiform writings indicate warranties (including life time) go back at least 3,000 years. This marketing tool has been around a long time.

And no one ever said that NAPA did not offer any lifetime warranties. What was said was that NAPA has never really bought into this to this long and/or lifetime warranty gimmick as much as the walk-in stores. And this has nothing to do with the actual quality of the part. You can get the Gates parts online at RockAuto for often less than half the price in the brick and mortar stores.

Also, Autozone was started in 1979 as Auto Shack in Forest City, Arkansas by the Malone & Hyde grocery store chain based out of Memphis, TN. It has nothing to do with the past "Grand Auto" chain from the 1970's.

I'll be glad to discuss NAPA parts quality versus warranty-length topic that this thread is about. But the rest is just static. Let's stay on topic.

PS: I like Gates brand for timing belt, water pump, other belts. You can get a Gates kit with all the timing components in it together. And Gates also offers the higher quality blue racing belts. Plus, it's all made in the US, Canada or Mexico. Gates appears to be big on NAFTA as is Chrysler.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Dec 2016 at 02:37 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Okay. Some corrections required, I guess.

No one in this thread said that Autozone was the first to offer lifetime warranties. WHATS THIS? But I understand it is how you read it "like" is the operative word!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The stores like Autozone started this lifetime warranty thing as a gimmick to get more walk-in customers. )
Somebody didn't wear their reading glasses. And Grand Auto or whomever wasn't the first either back in the 1970's. Early cuneiform writings indicate warranties (including life time) go back at least 3,000 years. This marketing tool has been around a long time.
Ok LOL we are talking about auto parts and I did not say Grand Auto started the lifetime warranties only they promoted the lifetime on some parts and btw that was before auto zone was conceived.

And no one ever said that NAPA did not offer any lifetime warranties. What was said was that NAPA has never really bought into this to this long and/or lifetime warranty gimmick as much as the walk-in stores. And this has nothing to do with the actual quality of the part. You can get the Gates parts online at RockAuto for often less than half the price in the brick and mortar stores.
Not sure at all about this response maybe you just wanted to write??LOL

Also, Autozone was started in 1979 as Auto Shack in Forest City, Arkansas by the Malone & Hyde grocery store chain based out of Memphis, TN. It has nothing to do with the past "Grand Auto" chain from the 1970's.

I am well aware of when and who started autozone. Once again I never said one company had to do with the other in my responses? Maybe you should read again my words and not what you think I said? Contrary to a few members on this forum I was involved with many auto parts chain store all over the US. I just dont feel the need to always defend or give out my complete resume on a PT Cruiser or for that matter any internet forum!!

I'll be glad to discuss NAPA parts quality versus warranty-length topic that this thread is about. But the rest is just static. Let's stay on topic.

LOL sure?

PS: I like Gates brand for timing belt, water pump, other belts. You can get a Gates kit with all the timing components in it together. And Gates also offers the higher quality blue racing belts. Plus, it's all made in the US, Canada or Mexico. Gates appears to be big on NAFTA as is Chrysler.
I always like the description "higher Quality". I got news for you all the blue belts do just as well as the black ones on very high horsepower engines.
LOL only internet pin-ball wizards really believe otherwise.

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Dec 2016 at 03:06 pm.