The cranks but doesn't start!!!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2017, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default The cranks but doesn't start!!!

So I have an 02 pt cruiser it cranks but doesn't start! So we bought it it ran...But overheated we took it apart changed radiator cap and thermostat and then we saw the head gasket was blown! We changed it put it all back together now it won't start! Since then we changed the spark plugs, got a new battery, spark plug wires, camshaft position sensor, coil pack, and the crankshaft position sensor! Still cranks and won't start!, Fuel pressure is good! Fuel pump works...Can't figure this damn thing out!! Everything is hooked up!! Any suggestions I'm willing to try anything at this point!, Please and thanks you!!
Old 01 Jan 2017, 05:45 pm
Banned

Default Re: The cranks but doesn't start!!!

Welcome to the forum
Old 01 Jan 2017, 06:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjoes616 View Post
So I have an 02 pt cruiser it cranks but doesn't start! So we bought it it ran...But overheated we took it apart changed radiator cap and thermostat and then we saw the head gasket was blown! We changed it put it all back together now it won't start! Since then we changed the spark plugs, got a new battery, spark plug wires, camshaft position sensor, coil pack, and the crankshaft position sensor! Still cranks and won't start!, Fuel pressure is good! Fuel pump works...Can't figure this damn thing out!! Everything is hooked up!! Any suggestions I'm willing to try anything at this point!, Please and thanks you!!

Switch the coil & camshaft sensor plugs...the plugs are the same & users mix the 2 up when putting things back together.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 01 Jan 2017, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

What about the timing/timing belt? Is everything lined up correctly?

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 01 Jan 2017, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

If the coil & camshaft sensor plugs are in the proper connections I would suggest checking to see if you have spark on all 4 cylinders.

Harbor Freight sells a spark test for a reasonable price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=spark+tester

If you have spark I would suggest putting some starter fluid in the throttle body to see if it starts to run.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 Jan 2017 at 07:11 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2017, 08:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: The cranks but doesn't start!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjoes616 View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation but don't lose hope you can get it figured out. I would suggest chances are very high something in your reassembly went back together incorrectly. We know that before the head gasket change the car would run but now does not. It is not likely a component that you previously removed just up and failed by removing it. It is possible but I would say those possibilities are very slim. Now the swapping of the connectors previously mentioned by other members is a definite possibility. Also thoroughly check all your connections in and around the throttle body, that's a busy area with many connections in close proximity. Check all of your vacuum line connections as well. The timing belt alignment is critical on this engine and can't be looked at with a close enough mentality, it must be dead on. You have verified your fuel pressure, as has been mentioned check for spark. Make sure the map sensor on the upper intake is connected and the TPS and IAC over by the throttle body. Basically just retrace your steps and I believe you will discover your no start problem. That timing belt alignment is highly suspect and I can't emphasize enough how important that step is to the proper operation of the engine after reassembly. Just keep in mind it ran before you started your repairs and now does not, highly unlikely to be a component failure but more likely user induced failure and I say that kindly, I've been there through the years.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 01 Jan 2017, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: The cranks but doesn't start!!!

One other item, double check your spark plug wiring from the coil pack and ensure the wires are connected to the proper corresponding cylinders.