PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please help, PT won't start ( turns over )

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2017, 02:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please help, PT won't start ( turns over )

Hey, guys.
So, I'm having an issue with my 2007 Pt Cruiser. It's the touring edition and has 60k miles. I just bought it off a friend ( only owner ) a couple of months ago. All has been fine until this morning. The battery has always been "soft", namely due to the cold and aftermarket cd player and Bluetooth talking thingy lol. The battery was 4 years old ( it always was slow to start but would start every time ). Well this morning it got to below zero and it wouldnt start at all ( a few very slow, sluggish rah rah Rahs then nothing). So, I hopped in the wife's car and went and bought a new battery ( AAP Silver: $130 ). Took the old battery out, put the new one in and... same thing (kind of). It will start to turn over, then like "sputter" for a split second like it's going to start, then nothing. I tried replacing the camshaft positioning sensor, same thing. I also tried to do the key dance, it just says "done" with no code, but the engine light flashes 10 times after it says done. Any ideas? This is my only daily driver now, and I just opened a new tattoo shop and have 5 artists working for me, us 2 kids ( 1 who I have to take to work and the other to school ). And the wife and I work different times, so it's a hassle. I'm hoping it's something simple, because it's got such low miles on it, my friend was the only owner and takes great care of his vehicles ( oil changes every 5 or 6k, full synthetic ). I was thinking it was something to do with the battery change, like maybe I need to reset something, security, etc. Idk, I'm not a mechanic, I'm just a tattoo artist. I can fix things when I read or watch howith, but I'm no good at diagnosing issues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 07 Jan 2017, 03:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help, PT won't start ( turns over )

The check engine light will flash 10 times (Key on non running Position) whenever the power to the car has been disconnected. I would suggest you check your battery cables for bad contacts. Make sure the contacts are good on the ground cable going to the inside fender.

If your battery cables check out good then I would check the group of ground wires going to the drivers side inside fender from the engine. The group of wires get corroded and stop making good contact.
Imakenocents likes this.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 03:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The check engine light will flash 10 times (Key on non running Position) whenever the power to the car has been disconnected. I would suggest you check your battery cables for bad contacts. Make sure the contacts are good on the ground cable going to the inside fender.

If your battery cables check out good then I would check the group of ground wires going to the drivers side inside fender from the engine. The group of wires get corroded and stop making good contact.
Imakenocents likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Jan 2017, 03:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I'll check as soon as I wake up and keep you posted. I appreciate the replies
Old 07 Jan 2017, 05:10 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 07 Jan 2017, 08:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Be sure to take a good look at your battery cables too. Any green corrosion could be under the insulation. You may need to strip a little bit off and look. I'll also ask a stupid question. Did you clean the battery posts and cable ends before you installed the new battery? If not, then invest a couple of dollars in that little "tool" and use it.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, guys. So I checked all the cables and cleaned the connections. Same issue. The car will crank, and like it's going to start, even "sputter up" like it does right when it starts, then stops. And it won't start. I'm getting frustrated. Ran fine until the battery crapped out. New battery is good. All lights, everything works. Turns over strong. Just won't start. Anything else I could possibly try
megan4221977 likes this.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest spraying some starter fluid in the throttle body. See if it starts up right away and keeps running longer. If it does you need to check your fuel pressure. You should be getting 58 +/- 5 PSI.

If your fuel pressure is okay I would suggest you check for spark with a spark tester. See if you are getting strong spark on all cylinders.

Is your engine light on? If so check to see what the engine trouble codes are with an OBDII Scan Tool. Post what codes come up.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Jan 2017 at 01:00 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2017, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Lots of good advice. I thought I add my 2 cents, You mentioned the temperature dropped below zero. Any possibility of a frozen fuel line?
Old 07 Jan 2017, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The CEL has been on since 10k mile, due to an untraceable vacuum leak. A friend is coming over Monday or Tuesday to run codes and check the fuel pressure. I'm not sure about the frozen fuel line. How would I check or fix that? That would make sense. Because to me its like it wants to start but isn't getting fuel