PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel Injector?

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2017, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Fuel Injector?

I (like most of us), like to keep the preventative maintenance on going. I have a 07 NA with 72000 miles. Car runs fine. I've done in the past, new wires,plugs,filters, etc but have always wondered about the fuel injectors. It can get costly, but is there any reason to change these out. Like I said, the car runs fine and I'm the second owner (bought at 54000) so I really don't have a feel of what the car ran like when new. I know the old saying 'don't fix it if it aint broke'. Just a question I've pondered.
Old 08 Jan 2017, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Injector?

The short answer is no.

With the additives in modern fuels, the fuel injectors in many types of cars can operate through out the service life of the car without being manually cleaned. I suspect the majority of PT Cruisers on the road today have over 100,000 miles on them. And of those, I doubt more than just a very small percentage have ever had the injectors touched in any way.

Can cleaning the injectors be beneficial? Sure. Do motorheads clean their injectors often in an attempt to gain every drop of performance? Sure. Will it make any difference in 70K PT daily driver that already runs great? Probably not.
JoeX likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Jan 2017 at 05:20 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
I (like most of us), like to keep the preventative maintenance on going. I have a 07 NA with 72000 miles. Car runs fine. I've done in the past, new wires,plugs,filters, etc but have always wondered about the fuel injectors. It can get costly, but is there any reason to change these out. Like I said, the car runs fine and I'm the second owner (bought at 54000) so I really don't have a feel of what the car ran like when new. I know the old saying 'don't fix it if it aint broke'. Just a question I've pondered.
Berryman B-12 Chemtool

Also available at O'Reilly & Walmart.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 Jan 2017, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fuel injector can really only be cleaned two ways either by removing and have them serviced or a specialized high pressure cleaning on the engine. Additives actually do very little except in some minor way help reduce varnish build up.

Every fuel injector that has been using gasoline in the USA will have some degree of service that should be done for peak engine efficiency.

Most people do not find the investment worth while the service is between $100-$300.

In every case if you have over 100k miles you could pick up both power output as well lost mpg by having them properly serviced or replaced with a matched set.

A side note most people "think" that their vehicles run well because they exhibit no issues. But then that's it isn't they "think" they do!
L2fish and AnRAutotech like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jan 2017 at 12:49 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2017, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

A good study on fuel injectors and cleaners http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2543.pdf?zo-1181889 .
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2017, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
A good study on fuel injectors and cleaners http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2543.pdf?zo-1181889 .
To bad nothing works yet for Intake Valve Deposits on direct port injection engines. GDI

Honestly and I love Amsoil products but I recommend the occasional use of *Chevron gasoline in most all types of passenger cars and trucks manufactured from about 2002 and newer and only *Chevron with any engine that is GDI.
All the colors of the USA Flag!
*Techron
Marvel Mystery Oil
Amsoil

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Jan 2017, 04:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
To bad nothing works yet for Intake Valve Deposits on direct port injection engines. GDI

Honestly and I love Amsoil products but I recommend the occasional use of *Chevron gasoline in most all types of passenger cars and trucks manufactured from about 2002 and newer and only *Chevron with any engine that is GDI.
All the colors of the USA Flag!
*Techron
Marvel Mystery Oil
Amsoil
"P.i. effectively cleans everything the fuel touches, including both port and direct fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers, in only one single tank of gasoline, removing the deposits that have built up over thousands of miles. "
Old 08 Jan 2017, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exactly but.....

No fuel touches the back of intake valves on GDI engines only air. This is where carbon build up happens. Carbon build up on the back of intake valves and into the runner is a unresolved concern with many GDI engines. Currently the only method with those having engine issues caused by extreme carbon build up is several hours to clean the GDI using such techniques like walnut shells applied at high pressure into the runner and or directly on the back of the intake valve.

You may notice the Amzoil article only lightly mentions GDI engines and claims nothing except the fuel injector cleaning.

Honestly I do not want to get into a debate about engines that are not in a PT Cruiser. We (the shop) have actually turned down that kind of work to cure really bad carbon deposits on the GDI engines because it is really a messy clean up and hard to charge someone for not only the work but add the cleaning of the shop after the cleaning procedure. The shop I do work for likes doing it with chemicals and not media blasting. Messy !!! And I won't do it except media blasting and it is his shop. The only good thing is I can just say NO to anything I dont want to work on.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Jan 2017, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Exactly but.....

No fuel touches the back of intake valves on GDI engines only air. This is where carbon build up happens. Carbon build up on the back of intake valves and into the runner is a unresolved concern with many GDI engines. Currently the only method with those having engine issues caused by extreme carbon build up is several hours to clean the GDI using such techniques like walnut shells applied at high pressure into the runner and or directly on the back of the intake valve.

You may notice the Amzoil article only lightly mentions GDI engines and claims nothing except the fuel injector cleaning.

Honestly I do not want to get into a debate about engines that are not in a PT Cruiser. We (the shop) have actually turned down that kind of work to cure really bad carbon deposits on the GDI engines because it is really a messy clean up and hard to charge someone for not only the work but add the cleaning of the shop after the cleaning procedure. The shop I do work for likes doing it with chemicals and not media blasting. Messy !!! And I won't do it except media blasting and it is his shop. The only good thing is I can just say NO to anything I dont want to work on.
For air intake, I recommend http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databullet...pdf?zo=1181889 .
Old 08 Jan 2017, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are we still talking about this ??

Chemical additives or cleaners do not work well in extreme cases of carbon build up. *Some may work better than others?

However for a preventative maintenance of any intake system that has not already had extreme carbon deposits forming, products claiming to keep them clean may be a good preventive measure to reduce the possibility of excessive carbon deposits.
Did anyone else read some interesting information the document provided earlier? Honestly I will say it again Amsoil is a top brand product I use myself and even stock it but ....lets try not to be almighty about it?

*Testing of most all of these products IMHO has always been a bit biased? In the real world there are to many variables that can change results using one product and another.
The funny thing is that there are none automotive chemical readily available that do better that most all engine cleaning additives and can be used in the engine oil or fuel tank with experienced users.

The only real thing that can stop, eliminate and prevent intake carbon deposits, combustion chamber carbon deposits, and even clean the exhaust systems is a regulated water injection system.

Proven effective since WWII

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jan 2017 at 05:49 pm.