Advertisements
Overheating Help Please

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Overheating Help Please

Edited to add it is a 2005.

Problem started Dec 14 when the heat stopped working. Topped off the antifreeze, replaced the thermostat (found the place to bleed it) and tried playing with the heat/speed dials. Didn't work.

Did some reading online and decided to have the heater core flushed. Being female they didn't just do that and checked around ��, they replaced a little plastic piece they thought might be causing a problem (not sure of car terms but if it was a piece of water tubing/pipe I'd call it an elbow that connected two pieces of tubing). That didn't work so they flushed the heater core. Heater worked.

Then on Jan 6 I was driving down the road (35mph) and an alarm started going off, overheating. Flipped on my blinker to pull over on a side street but before I got turned and stopped the gage dropped back down. Checked antifreeze hot and it was up to the hot line. Checked later and it was a bit above add. Topped it off.
Heat went out with this overheating.

Read some more. Replaced the radiator cap. Heat works now but not on high heat it's about in the middle.

Small town, don't drive far normally. Mile to the kids school and say 3 to the Walmart lol. On the side streets (20mph) it doesn't try to overheat. Main roads (35mph) the garage starts going up to 3/4. If I let off the accelerator it goes back down.

I've read about relays, radiator fan/motor, water pump, fan low/high speeds but I don't know where the relays are, how to tell if if the low/high speeds are working etc.

I can follow detailed directions and YouTube videos. I changed a sensor that went out a few months ago it was nice and threw a code. I watched a video to find the thermostat.

I've watched fan and radiator replacement videos and they look like something I could do. So I think I can fix it I'm just not sure what to try next. It cost $170 for the heater core flush, elbow and labor so I really don't want to take it back to the shop.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by Bluemoonjo; 10 Jan 2017 at 10:23 am. Reason: Adding year
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:20 am
Banned

Default Re: Overheating Help Please

Welcome to the forum
Bluemoonjo likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Cooling systems are not a mystery and easy to solve all heating issues.
It does however "require" some tools. If you do not have them I suggest you find a quality auto service center to at least diagnosis what your heating issue is caused from.

You need:

Flash light
Cooling system Pressure tester
Cylinder compression tester
Infrared IR Temperature Gun Digital Thermometer
Block tester
Digital volt/Ohm meter

With these you WILL find the cause of your heating issue!
Old 10 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Maybe the is a member close that can suggest a reliable mechanic.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 10 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and see if you can hear the radiator fan come on automatically.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Out of this list all I have is a flash light and a digital meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the forum

Cooling systems are not a mystery and easy to solve all heating issues.
It does however "require" some tools. If you do not have them I suggest you find a quality auto service center to at least diagnosis what your heating issue is caused from.

You need:

Flash light
Cooling system Pressure tester
Cylinder compression tester
Infrared IR Temperature Gun Digital Thermometer
Block tester
Digital volt/Ohm meter

With these you WILL find the cause of your heating issue!
Old 10 Jan 2017, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turned the AC on, started it cold and very carefully put my hand in to see if I could feel air air blowing (it all just sounds the same to me) and I could feeling it working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C and see if you can hear the radiator fan come on automatically.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 09:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Overheating Help Please

I would try to find a way to do what Nitro PT is suggesting if you have a friend even that can assist you with what is needed. Many factors are involved in an overheat situation so the checks need to be performed to isolate the problem area. I find it interesting that you had some period of time where the problem seemed to go away after the heater core flush was performed. Also it is noteworthy that the car seems to overheat worse with more vehicle speed where more airflow is being directed across the radiator. I hope we get to hear the outcome of this issue. Would you post your findings to the forum? I have my own suspicions regarding coolant circulation. I know some Chryslers have had impellers fail in unusual ways not circulating the coolant as they should. Somebody on this forum may live near you, as has been already suggested, that could assist you.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Every time it overheats and you let the engine cool off, do you take the radiator cap off to see if the coolant level is full all the way up to the top?
Old 10 Jan 2017, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No never. I just check the full/add container.

I haven't driven in about 5 hours, started it a bit ago to feel the radiator fan. I went back down and looked, right now there is no antifreeze under the cap I can see down to thermostat.

I can let the gage get to 3/4 (I haven't been letting get into the red zone/alarm go off again) in the morning and then check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Every time it overheats and you let the engine cool off, do you take the radiator cap off to see if the coolant level is full all the way up to the top?