PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Replacement Question

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Replacement Question

I'm really glad I'm going through the hassle of checking the timing since I keep finding things that need replacing. One issue im running into though is lifting the engine to be able to access all the bolts. After removing the lower and upper mounts and the T55 bolt I started lifting it up but was not happy with the placement of the scissor jack. I also noticed it started to slide on the wood a little when trying to remove the bolt on that last big bracket. What is the correct way to do this? I decided on the scissor jack since I'm only working at night and trust it to hold the weight. Also, will the engine be supported enough with only the T55 bolt if I try to reposition the jack or should I put on the lower mount just to be safe?

https://goo.gl/photos/mqEgUPo8RAiJph5q7
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Timing Belt Replacement Question

The T55 bolt will hold the engine in place, it's the actual right side engine mount bolt. The upper and lower parts you refer to are just isolator struts to assist in baffling engine vibrations. I would not recommend using the scissor jack due to repeated up and down movements required to accomplish the work on the timing belt, water pump, or whatever the case may be. A jack with a wide base is safer and more appropriate. The T55 bolt should be the last bolt removed after the jack is in place. When removing the isolators the engine may rock forward or backward some but as I said the engine mount will not allow the engine to fall with the T55 installed through the mount. Be careful rasing and lowering the engine and stop and check clearances if you get in a bind, especially the alternator and the a/c high pressure switch on the back of the a/c compressor. Actually I would disconnect the connector from the high pressure switch so you do not break it off. I would use a hydraulic floor jack with more surface area than you are using and one that can be raised and lowered more readily. The last time I did this I used my transmission jack with a block of wood on the jack platform, gave good mobility when needed. I have also used a standard 4 wheel floor jack. Not sure why you are disassembling so far to verify timing alignment, if that is the goal.
BlakeL and rob302 like this.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Question

Good pointers. At this point I can probably remove the timing covers and double check the timing but I'll have to remove everything eventually because the upper and lower mounts/struts are completely shot and I assume the middle one is as well. The reason for checking the timing is the engine has had a rough idle ever since getting the belt replaced and I ruled out a few other issues like a vacuum leak. The car has no codes and an old neighbor mentioned it was running like his was with 1 tooth off when he replaced his belt.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That slight miss in your PT could possibly be small cracks in the exhaust manifold. Not big enough to hear, but just enough to cause that miss.
BlakeL likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
That slight miss in your PT could possibly be small cracks in the exhaust manifold. Not big enough to hear, but just enough to cause that miss.
Good tip. I'll double check the timing tonight and take a look at the exhaust manifold as well. I think a trip to Harbor Freight is also in store to grab a new jack since the one my father in law gave me is a little portable one and does not lift high enough. Costco also had a good deal I passed up around Christmas for a jack I should check out.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You'll need a very bright light to do a thorough inspection, Blake. Good luck with it. I sure hope you figure it out.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 12:31 am
Young Cruiser

I was able to get off the upper timing cover and all but one screw off the lower one. A aligned the crankshaft marks and this is how the cams looked. It seems a little off but it seems like such a little amount that it could be user error. I can double check tomorrow with my father in law to get a fresh pair of eyes. What do you guys think?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...VY4MlFJQWNDa2M

Last edited by BlakeL; 14 Jan 2017 at 01:28 am.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 12:40 am
Cool Cruiser

I can't bring up your image are you sure it is uploaded correctly?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 12:54 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
I can't bring up your image are you sure it is uploaded correctly?
I added a google share link.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 01:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Your image was shot from above making it a bit difficult to verify but even in that photo it appears to be off significantly. The inner marks are to high and the outer marks on the gears are to low, when viewed straight across. All four marks have to be straight across with that straight edge laying right against the cam gears. It's a bit tricky but you can do it.