PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing setup question

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing setup question

hi and thanks for helping me, i just replaced water pump and timing belt after the belt broke from the waterpump siezure... before i get any further, i wanna make sure i doin correct to not have to re=do the process..

got the 2 marks together up top with cams and the marks together at the crank.. i then did 2 revolutions by hand and then i noticed something..

i turned it 1 revolution of the crank and then checked the marks up top and noticed they were not together, so i turned the crank 1 more full turn till its marks were lined up again and then noticed up top that the marks were correct again...?

so got to thinking and wondering that the crank has 2 full revolutions to the tops 1....,

seeing that my belt broke, i am wondering if its ok to line up top marks to any rotation of the crank as long as marks line up or some special way to line up crank marks to a certain crank revolution seing as how there are 2 lower revolutions to 1 upper revolution...???

thanks so much !
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: timing setup question

You are correct there are 2 crank revolutions to one full cycle of the exhaust and intake camshafts. Just make certain the 4 marks on the intake and exhaust cams are in straight alignment with one another using a straight edge when the crankshaft gear mark and block mark are aligned. The 2.4 stamp on the camshaft gears should be facing out on a 2.4 engine. The same gears are utilized on a 2.0 but then the gears would be flipped over and the 2.0 would be facing out. When all is correct and tension has been applied to the belt spin the engine over manually and verify yours marks are in perfect alignment after two complete revolutions of the crankshaft. They need to be dead on for proper engine operation.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: timing setup question

awesome ! then im ok.. so far anyway unless i suffered valve damage which i figure ill find out soon enough.... i was told i have a semi non-interferance motor and after reading up, i learned i should be ok...

so just to make sure, i dont have to get the #1 piston top dead center or worry about being on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke when lining all the marks up...? that its normal and ok after setting marks, that when i line up the crank marks on 1 turn, the cam marks will not be lined up and the next crank revolution they will be lined up..?

and thx so mu8ch !
Old 13 Jan 2017, 01:25 am
Cool Cruiser

I think you are making it too complicated. If all your camshaft marks are aligned straight across with a straight edge and the crank shaft gear mark and block mark are aligned. That's #1 TDC on compression stroke. After one complete revolution of the crankshaft the #1 piston would again be up but on the exhaust stroke and the camshaft marks would not be in straight alignment as they are at #1 TDC on compression stroke.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 01:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok, on to the next task... thank you and have a good weekend.....
Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Before you put the cover back on, start the car and let it run briefly to MAKE SURE you have it timed correctly. Too many people overlook this step and then get pissed off because they have to take it all back apart again and do it over. Don't be one of those people.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
...... proper engine operation.
Welcome to my world of helping people .....
Old 13 Jan 2017, 10:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to my world of helping people .....
Yes there are some frustrating moments but these are opportunities to share your knowledge and be the neighbor to someone in their time of need. I do my best but with your background think of all the people you have helped just through this forum alone. It is time well spent to me in spite of the challenges. You may just have helped someone in dire need. That's worth it all! There might just be a mother out there with her young kids on the way to school or the doctor or whatever that needed your Pt knowledge and assistance and through that assistance was able to keep cruisin'.
BlakeL likes this.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
Yes there are some frustrating moments I do my best....... keep on cruisin'.
I have been on various vehicle forums since around 2001 or earlier? Nothing ever changes on any of them no matter what the car or truck is.
There are more PT Cruisers per capita (observation based and partial sales information) in my area (California, Northern) than any other place in the USA. On my street alone there are 3 PT Cruisers and in just a few blocks over 9 PT Cruisers. All are owned by individuals over the age of 55 and most 65+ (Del Web Retirement 55+ community) and these are mostly garage kept and original owners.
You should see how many are in the Auto recycler yards (see Rancho Cordova CA) .....hundreds of them! (many sell parts all across the USA to individuals as well other shops and recycle yards and even out of the country)

We service at least 4 PT Cruisers in the shop every month. I personally at my house (when weather is acceptable. Summer ) will work on at least 1-3 a month. There are several members on this forum that have been to both my house and the shop. I also by way of phone and texting help many others on a regular basis.

Some where in all that I was suppose to be retired from working on other peoples vehicles many years ago....

I would like to know where all this "FREE" time and part time work I supposedly have is, as a couple members keep posting is??
ROLMAO
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Jan 2017 at 11:47 am.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Where I live, PT Cruisers are starting to get rare on the road. Used to, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one. Nowadays, in a full Walmart parking lot, there might be one or two. I would say that they are no more common than new style Volkswagen Beetles.

Just a couple of years ago, the majority of PT Cruisers on the road here appeared to be owned by older women. Most were 2nd Gen models and usually pretty plane. They seemed to make good low-cost SUV's for groceries and such. But today, most PT's appear to be driven by either young kids (as a first cheap vehicle bought by their parents) or the PT's are driven by poor folks. Most of the PT's are dirty and in obvious need of maintenance. In contrast, most elderly folks here prefer the big older sedans or minivans which are inexpensive and easy to get in and out of. Our church parking lots fills up with them on Sunday morning.

The salvage yards are full of PT Cruisers. To be exact, I often find nicer PT's in the salvage yards than I see on the road. Due to the low value of these cars right now, any of the common mechanical failures (timing belt, rad fan/headgasket, transmission, CV shaft, etc.) basically totals the car. Owners either park the car or leave it where it broke down because it's cheaper to just go buy another low-cost car. And mechanics often don't won't to see PT owners because it's a waste of their time to do a quote just to never get the work. At least, that's what the ones I know say.

This all isn't really about the quality of the PT Cruiser itself. Instead, this just happens to be the time when the value of the PT has just about reached rock bottom. Just a few years ago, we could be having the same discussion about Fox-body Mustangs. Of course, this also means that right now, the PT Cruiser is a SUPER value. You can get a world-class award-winning very successful and unique type of car for less money than a new set of tires for another newer car. But, you really need to be able to do much of the maintenance yourself. Otherwise, you just have a disposable car.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jan 2017 at 12:34 pm.