PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

I'm finally getting time to replace my timing belt. The car has close to 110k miles and I figured I'd better not press my luck any farther.

I'm in disassembly mode now and noticed that the main bolt that holds the pulley for the alternator and the balancer has marks on it that indicate it had been replaced previously. The torque struts are in bad shape and I figured the right mount would be as well (haven't gotten to it yet).

Question is, are there other problems that would require this bolt to be removed and reinstalled other than replacing the timing belt?

Thanks.

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 13 Jan 2017, 02:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVC View Post
I'm finally getting time to replace my timing belt. The car has close to 110k miles and I figured I'd better not press my luck any farther.

I'm in disassembly mode now and noticed that the main bolt that holds the pulley for the alternator and the balancer has marks on it that indicate it had been replaced previously. The torque struts are in bad shape and I figured the right mount would be as well (haven't gotten to it yet).

Question is, are there other problems that would require this bolt to be removed and reinstalled other than replacing the timing belt?

Thanks.

RVC
Certainly a number of reasons that mount bolt would need to be removed for previous maintenance but from a distant perspective that list could be lengthy. Just for example, head gasket, water pump, idler pulley, belt tensioner, timing belt, motor mount, camshafts, and so on, and so on, and so on.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

The harmonic balancer bolt would need to be removed for crank seal. But a that point you should change the belt. You are there. I would take off the top cover and check for name brand of belt. Anything other than gates would suggest a change. Molar belts were gates.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jan 2017, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

You were referring to the right engine mount bolt correct? Or as Busted Pt responded is it the harmonic balancer bolt you are asking about?
Old 13 Jan 2017, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another timing belt replacement question - different guy, different car

I told U

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Jan 2017, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bad wording on my part. I was referring to the harmonic balancer bolt. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the input.

RVC

Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Another related question arises, which I'm kind of ashamed to ask. How does one remove he harmonic balancer bolt? I don't have an impact wrench so I can't just zap the thing out. And the transmission is automatic so I can't jam the drive train some how and use a regular wrench. I assume the bolt is turned CCW.

Thank you.

RVC

Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not for the PT Cruiser, but if you can see what the picture is trying to convey, this is how I got the harmonic balancer bolt off of my Outback using a breaker bar:

On Youtube, I saw tricks on "blipping" the engine with a breaker bar attached but that made me cringe. I would have probably made a wrong assumption somewhere and destroyed the engine or broken something under the hood. I needed to remove the alternator to find a place to anchor the socket wrench. Someone on Youtube wrapped the serpentine belt directly on the alternator pulley. That puts a lot of stress on that bearing.

This is how I got torqued it back on. I had to look for a different spot to anchor the socket wrench:
Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unfortunately, I've always used an air impact tool to remove it. You might investigate the transmission/engine junction for an inspection cover that can be removed to expose the flex plate and then try to lock it in place to hold the engine in position to remove the dampener bolt. Just be careful not to damage the flex plate teeth in the process.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Excellent pictures! Worth a thousand words, as they say. I assume you don't use the belt again.

Thanks!

RVC