PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MSD wires

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Default MSD wires

Anyone else have MSD wires? I bought a set of them and short of standing on the plug wire with both feet. They wont snap onto the plug.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: MSD wires

I installed a set when I put in my MSD coil... I don't recall having any issues, not sure what might be going on there...? Did you look up in the boots to see if there's anything odd going on there?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about MSD wires, but some ignition wires have you unscrew the caps on the plugs and clip right to the threaded stud on the plug.
wingman55 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
Anyone else have MSD wires? I bought a set of them and short of standing on the plug wire with both feet. They wont snap onto the plug.
I installed a set on my GT. And yes, they were tight.

They sell little packets of grease at the parts stores that are especially made to put on the plugs and boots for this. Also, try each plug out on a loose plug first to make sure the metal part in the boot is in the right position. They can get turned. You should be able to feel the metal part snap onto the top of the plug. If you can't, something is likely not right.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 05:59 am
Young Cruiser

It seems the little rings are too far up in the boot. I'm going to try and pull them through a little without pulling them off the wire. Worse case I will get another set.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 08:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've had cheap wires like that. If i had msd wires like that, I'd want them to fix the problem. I fixed mine by gently grabbing the clip inside the boot with a needle nose and pulling it out
wingman55 likes this.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Use Dielectric grease. And on all Performance wres sometimes you need to "burp" them removing air as you push them on the terminals or other components when install them.
You can also apply the DG on the wire and carefully push the wire further down to allow the connector to be closer during installation. Sometime a little common sence is needed.

MSD for the WIN!!!
I will always try to use MSD product first if they have a part for the application I am working on since 1977 and this includes the PT Cruiser.
SPLNeon likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Jan 2017 at 09:24 am.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I can say that it is not likely that there is a problem with the set of MSD wires. If you understood how they are made and packaged it would be extremely rare in a set that more then a couple of wires were incorrectly made let a lone a complete set which really would be impossible!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
It seems the little rings are too far up in the boot. I'm going to try and pull them through a little without pulling them off the wire. Worse case I will get another set.
Yep, that could well be it too. MSD doesn't seem to be any better than the other major brands at this. Even NitroPT that has an unnatural LOVE for MSD products admits that a couple (two) out of a set of four could be off. That means 50% would need correcting. Plus, I think many MSD wire sets are now made in China. If that's true of the set for the PT Cruiser, then some of what the "old hands" knew about MSD quality in the past may now be somewhat out the window. But you should be able to easily re-position those rings as they should be.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Jan 2017 at 11:55 am.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 01:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I can say that it is not likely that there is a problem with the set of MSD wires. If you understood how they are made and packaged it would be extremely rare in a set that more then a couple of wires were incorrectly made let a lone a complete set which really would be impossible!

It's definitely the wires