PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UNKNOWN BOLT

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation UNKNOWN BOLT

My nephew and I were replacing the crankshaft bearings on his 2007 PT 2.4 because the thrust bearing went out and caused the front seal to pop out. I was removing bolts and he was just putting bolts into a box all mixed up and I found out too late. It was a chore trying to figure out where bolts went back to. Now the engine is back in and I discover this one bolt that I cannot figure out where it goes. The only thing not in yet is the radiator and fan assembly. Please help me out here, guys. It's a 13mm head and 4 inches long. It's threaded all the way down to the coned tip. It has crud built up on the head so it's gotta be external. I've looked all over and I cannot see where this is supposed to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolt.jpg (90.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: UNKNOWN BOLT

It looks like one of the bolts that hold the motor mount plate on the front of the engine. But it could be one of seveal.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: UNKNOWN BOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruZn4ABruZn View Post
My nephew and I were replacing the crankshaft bearings on his 2007 PT 2.4 because the thrust bearing went out and caused the front seal to pop out. I was removing bolts and he was just putting bolts into a box all mixed up and I found out too late. It was a chore trying to figure out where bolts went back to. Now the engine is back in and I discover this one bolt that I cannot figure out where it goes. The only thing not in yet is the radiator and fan assembly. Please help me out here, guys. It's a 13mm head and 4 inches long. It's threaded all the way down to the coned tip. It has crud built up on the head so it's gotta be external. I've looked all over and I cannot see where this is supposed to go.
If it isn't what Handy posted it might be one of the power steering pump to bracket bolts. If I remember right they are 13's and long.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It looks like one of the bolts that hold the motor mount plate on the front of the engine. But it could be one of seveal.
This is a really skinny bolt. It's definitely not one of the motor mount bolts. Those have a 15mm head. Out of all of the bolt removed there was not other bolt exactly like this one.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
If it isn't what Handy posted it might be one of the power steering pump to bracket bolts. If I remember right they are 13's and long.
Those three bolts are in and they are different than this one. They are indeed long bolts like this one, but this one is skinnier.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

What about the alternator tension adjustment bolt?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
What about the alternator tension adjustment bolt?
That was actually kept together and those bolts are back in. This bolt is still skinnier than that one. It's an odd size considering all of the other bolts. I just can't figure this out and it's driving me crazy!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you had the entire engine out I haven't had to go that far on one of these yet. Any long bolts on the transmission end I couldn't tell you. Did you have the a/c compressor off or starter? Just possibilities, I have 3 more of these cruisers I'm working on right now and I have one partially tore down. If you don't get it figured out I can do some checking tomorrow on this disassembled car.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
If you had the entire engine out I haven't had to go that far on one of these yet. Any long bolts on the transmission end I couldn't tell you. Did you have the a/c compressor off or starter? Just possibilities, I have 3 more of these cruisers I'm working on right now and I have one partially tore down. If you don't get it figured out I can do some checking tomorrow on this disassembled car.
Yes, we removed the whole engine and left the transmission in. I'm at work right now, but I'm going to be working on it when I get home. I had to pick up a radiator for him on my way to work today. He broke off half of the drain valve by not being careful with parts. I wish I had just told him I'd do everything by myself. A/C compressor and starter are installed already and have all of their bolts accounted for...
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

That sure looks like the bolt that comes into the alternator bracket for tension adjustment. The head of the bolt is toward the firewall and the threads would be hidden underneath the top alternator bracket. I know you said they were there but I can't think of another place for it. Like I said I'll do some looking tomorrow.