Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car won't start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car won't start.

I have a 2005 pt cruiser, 2.4 engine with 140,000 miles. Car died on me one morning and would not start back. Everything pointed to the fuel pump so I changed it. Car ran fine for a few days but after it came up to temp, if I turned it off it wouldn't start back, engine just turns over but no start. If I waited an hour or so it would start up and run fine. Yesterday I noticed the fuel light on, I had 3/4 tank of gas, and the gauge was below empty. Drove for a couple more miles and car just died. I now have codes p0462 and p0522. I don't want to just start replacing parts. Checked timing belt, it's good. I am getting spark also. I am at a loss here, please help.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car won't start.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest putting starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts. If it does you need to check to see if you have 58 +/- 5 PSI. If you have no fuel pressure you might want to check to see if you have fuel in the tank. You might have an electrical wiring problem with your fuel level sending unit.

P0462 - Fuel Level Sending Unit Low Voltage

Possible Causes:
1. Faulty fuel level sensor
2. Fuel level sensor harness is open or shorted
3. Fuel level sensor circuit poor electrical connection

The PCM has detected the fuel level as being more than 100% for more than 4.5 minutes and triggered the P0462 code.

Has the fuel tank been worked on?
I would suggest checking the fuel level sensor harness. Physically check it from the PCM to the fuel tank and make sure its not rubbed through shorting to ground or open.

I would suggest fixing the P0522 code by checking the wiring gong to it and check the contacts at the oil pressure sensor. See if the oil pressure sending unit is leaking oil.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Jan 2017 at 10:36 am.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks ptcruisersteve. I will check the fuel pressure. The gas tank has not been worked on other than installing the new fuel pump. Also, it has gas in the tank. I will check the wiring for any shorts.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest putting starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts. If it does you need to check to see if you have 58 +/- 5 PSI. If you have no fuel pressure you might want to check to see if you have fuel in the tank. You might have an electrical wiring problem with your fuel level sending unit.

like said above this is the first place to start if you do not have fuel pressure its not gonna start and putting in a fuel pump is pretty much removing the tank taking off a lot of lines and several electrical conections
Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Car won't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walldaddy78 View Post
I have a 2005 pt cruiser, 2.4 engine with 140,000 miles. Car died on me one morning and would not start back. Everything pointed to the fuel pump so I changed it. Car ran fine for a few days but after it came up to temp, if I turned it off it wouldn't start back, engine just turns over but no start. If I waited an hour or so it would start up and run fine. Yesterday I noticed the fuel light on, I had 3/4 tank of gas, and the gauge was below empty. Drove for a couple more miles and car just died. I now have codes p0462 and p0522. I don't want to just start replacing parts. Checked timing belt, it's good. I am getting spark also. I am at a loss here, please help.
Welcome to the Pt forum and sorry to hear you are having issues with your 05 Pt. In addition to what has been suggested the fuel pump and the fuel pump sender share a common ground point at G104. That ground is located on the inner right fender inside the engine compartment in behind the a/c lines. I would double check those grounds for security and cleanliness. Those wires come into a terminal lug and then attach to that ground point. The black wire is the fuel pump ground and the black/light green wire is the fuel sender ground. The oil pressure switch (P0522 code)also may be grounded there but not sure, my diagram shows me it is grounded but does not show the ground location for the oil pressure switch. Those grounds may be the source of all of your issues, especially if you live in an environment conducive to corrosion.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Car won't start.

Oil pressure switch I believe is grounded by just being installed in the engine block.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I checked for any shorts in rhe wiring, didn't see any. Changed the oil sending unit and it fired right up and ran good. I could hear the fuel pump running when I turned the key also. Went back out an hour later and it would not start. Urghh!! Getting frustrated. Also, how do you check the fuel pressure? There's no valve to hook into.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest to see if it is a fuel problem take some starter fluid and spray it in the throttle body. If it starts to run then you do need to check the fuel pressure.

If it doesn't start with the starter fluid then you might not be getting spark. Suggest getting an spark tester and see if you are getting spark.

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?
Old 22 Jan 2017, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm getting codes p0032 and p0038. Initially was getting those plus p0462 and p0522. Yesterday I changed the oil sending unit and it ran fine, and like I said came back an hour later and it would not start, just turns over. Could something be triggering the ASD and keeping it from starting? The p0032 and p0038 have been there for awhile but the car still ran fine. I can't find the shroader valve to check fuel pressure either. There isn't one on the fuel rail. Any suggestions?