PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SRT4 Total Build Swap Started. Need all advice.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2017, 07:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default SRT4 Total Build Swap Started. Need all advice.

So, ive officially started swapping a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited, and I know I have my hands full here, but the reason I started this build is because my cruiser shot a hole through the engine block due to rod bearing failure. Many on this forum say the swap is not feasible, but with enough time and resources i believe anything is possible, especially with all the LS swaps and stuff out there. Wiring will be the main issue as i have to get an srt4 ecu and i know that it isn't a direct plug and play but im totally willing to swap out every electronic part of this car. Along with that i will be using a manual transmission, either the t-850 or the Getrag. All I need is some help from everyone in this forum that is willing to. Any and all references, manuals, photos, etc would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance. Photos attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2242[1].jpg (82.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2233.jpg (93.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2245.jpg (82.6 KB, 48 views)
rockandroller likes this.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SRT4 Total Build Swap Started. Need all advice.

It would be nice if you could post pictures a little better for a forum!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Jan 2017, 08:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There is a member here.. her name is "MADSCIENTISTDOHC" -i believe she already did the swap you're doing. If you look in the build threads she should be in the last couple pages.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you rob!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, it seems like what she has done is made her N/A PT cruiser into a turbo. My engine block has a hole in from where the rod shot out of it so I will need a totally new motor. What I am trying to do is get an srt4 motor, get all the wiring, ecu, and transmission from a donor car and "plug" it into my empty shell
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabe1 View Post
Well, it seems like what she has done is made her N/A PT cruiser into a turbo. My engine block has a hole in from where the rod shot out of it so I will need a totally new motor. What I am trying to do is get an srt4 motor, get all the wiring, ecu, and transmission from a donor car and "plug" it into my empty shell
Looks to me you would be better off wit PT GT same motor and everything ready to swap. Of course a 5 speed may be tougher to find.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I dont understand why on many forums people think an SRT engine is different? The 2.4 is either Turbo or non Turbo for engine internals. The externals like intakes and exhaust were model specific designed. The PCM will still only make the designed limitation of the engine. Which again gets aggregated when people talk about Neons and SRT engine 2.4 or for that matter the 1.6.

But if all someone has for a donor car is with an SRT well......???

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Jan 2017, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn, I agree about the 2.4 turbo motors being all alike. You did a lot of the ground work here proving this out. I recommended the GT for the reason it is the only one that has 5 speeds in them. Making a harness swap more painless. I have no clue about the neon's harness.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jan 2017, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabe1 View Post
This sounds like a very cool project. It's been done several times. But I haven't found a good example on this forum.

What a lot of folk will say is that you are basically building a PT Cruiser GT. Since the SRT4 engine and the PT turbo engine are the same except for the manifolds, this is sort of true. And buying a GT would likely be cheaper than doing what you plan. But as long as you know that, it's still a great project. Why climb the mountain? Because it's there.

Also, a few choice parts from a salvage turbo PT may make your project easier. The wiring harness and PCM from an 04 or 05 turbo would run both your SRT engine and the instrument cluster. And if you go with a manual tranny, you will be able to avoid that compatibility issue with the 2002 PT which has a separate TCM that was eliminated all 2003 and newer PT's. and I believe the manual tranny in the SRT4 came with limited slip which no PT has. But others will need to verify that.

Again, understand that except for using a non-Getrag manual tranny, your end product will be very similar to any $2,500 off-the-shelf 5-speed PT Cruiser GT and will lack the upgraded brakes and a few other items. But again, it might be a cool project none the less.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Jan 2017 at 05:25 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Handy why do you say sorta true. Block, Head, pistons, cams, exhaust manifold, and rods are all the same on turbo 2.4.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com