PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT is overheating, help please.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My PT is overheating, help please.

Hey guys I've never really posted anything on this website and I didn't know where to go but I need help with my 2005 PT cruiser. As of yesterday night my PT cruiser has been overheating unusually fast. This morning the heat wasn't working. It was blowing out cold air with an occasional burst of warm air. While it was idling it heated up to the point where it was almost at red so I turned my car off hoping it would be alright. I drove it home which is only a five minute drive might I add and it was already above the the halfway mark which it never has been up untill yesterday and today. I've been reading other forums and people are saying it could just be low on coolant or it could be the radiator fans or it could be a headgasket or a thermostat. So when I got home I poored what I had left of engine coolant Into my car(not through where the radio for cap is) and then I went started my car and within a minute Ute it was already above the halfway mark. My engine got a little quieter than usual after this so I turned my car off and right as I did I could here a bubbling noise which I assume came somewhere from the radio for or engine but it was probably coolant. Also this may be unrelated but sometimes when the AC or heat has been on in the past there is a very faint chemical smell.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: My PT is overheating, help please.

I'm also wondering if anyone is having any similar problems. Please if anyone's knows let me know asap
Old 19 Jan 2017, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Jan 2017, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: My PT is overheating, help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
Hey guys I've never really posted anything on this website and I didn't know where to go but I need help with my 2005 PT cruiser. As of yesterday night my PT cruiser has been overheating unusually fast. This morning the heat wasn't working. It was blowing out cold air with an occasional burst of warm air. While it was idling it heated up to the point where it was almost at red so I turned my car off hoping it would be alright. I drove it home which is only a five minute drive might I add and it was already above the the halfway mark which it never has been up untill yesterday and today. I've been reading other forums and people are saying it could just be low on coolant or it could be the radiator fans or it could be a headgasket or a thermostat. So when I got home I poored what I had left of engine coolant Into my car(not through where the radio for cap is) and then I went started my car and within a minute Ute it was already above the halfway mark. My engine got a little quieter than usual after this so I turned my car off and right as I did I could here a bubbling noise which I assume came somewhere from the radio for or engine but it was probably coolant. Also this may be unrelated but sometimes when the AC or heat has been on in the past there is a very faint chemical smell.
Welcome to the Pt forum, sorry to hear you are having car troubles but maybe with the many experienced folks on this forum you can get your issue resolved. Based on your information so far I would let the car cool off to ambient temperature and then remove the radiator cap and see where your coolant level is after cool down. On a properly operating system the radiator should pull any coolant required from the overflow tank to bring the level back to full, in the normal coolant operation scenario, once the car cools off. The very faint smell(from the past) you describe may have been an ongoing coolant leak that should have been addressed before the situation got to this point but that is water under the bridge now. We can only hope no cylinder head damage has resulted at this point. Once you check the level, refill the system and do a system pressure/leak check. You can purchase a leak tester at Harbor Freight for a reasonable amount of money. Once the system is pressurized locate any leaks, including the heater core. Also pressure test your radiator cap. The cooling fans fail at a high rate on these cars so electrically verify their operation if you have the ability to do it. Keeping an eye and nose on coolant on these cars on a regular basis is crucial. One thing we know if you have indeed lost coolant one of two things or both have happened. 1) You have an ongoing leak 2) You are burning coolant during combustion. Update the forum with your findings and we can go from there.

Last edited by Imakenocents; 19 Jan 2017 at 03:35 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing I would suggest doing is a engine coolant pressure test as Imakenocents. You need to find out where the coolant is going? I don't recommend you drive it until you find the problem.