PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ECM Compatibility?

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default ECM Compatibility?

Hello everyone! I have a 2004 PT Cruiser that's been a nightmare for me since I bought it. And today, I find out that I need to get the ECM replaced. My mechanic told me that I need to get an ECM with security in it as my PT Cruiser does have a factory-equipped security system in it. However, right now I'm just trying to find one that's compatible.

I called a pull yard in my area and they said that they have a few '05s and '06s available. I was just wondering, will pulling an ECM out of one of those work with my '04? Or do I have to try and find one for an '04?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 05:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,513
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

05 MIGHT work, depending on what equipment it has vs what equipment your 04 has. The 06 or newer WILL NOT work. In 06 the electronics changed completely to the TIPM set up. Don't waste your money on anything newer than 05. Ideally, you need an 04 that's the same # as on yours.
__________________


Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

So what you're saying is it would be best if I got the part number off the ECM first before I go pulling off one?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 05:49 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixLaw92 View Post
So what you're saying is it would be best if I got the part number off the ECM first before I go pulling off one?
IF you buy one from the yard, it will need programed by dealer to work with the KEY and SKIM module.

What seems to be the problem you are having.

One other choice is to get the ECM - KEY/key cylinder - SKIM and they will work together but then you would have to rekey your locks
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 05:51 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northridge, California Baby
Posts: 237
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

You also might be able to get the ECU repaired, depending on the problem.

What kind of PT is it by the way? Turbo or non? Manual or Automatic?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,600
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

You should be able to use an 05 in your 04, however as others mentioned, you need to have your car's vin programmed into it before you can use it. If you install it as is, unprogrammed, the vin in the pcm will not match the vin in the skim module, and so the car will not run for longer than a couple of seconds before it shuts itself off.

The dealer can do this reprogramming, if they know how or are willing. Often they will tell you it is impossible because they either do not know how to use their tool to do it, or, they would rather sell you a $600+ replacement. Some other garages with a higher end scanner can do it also, again, if they know how. Many do not seem to know the full capability of their tool.

Syked ecu tuning can do it for $40 plus shipping back and forth. I too can do it for you, but I am located in Canada, and shipping tends to be expensive, but, it is definitely possible.

There is another way to bypass the need for programming, and it is to simply grab the pcm along with the same donor car's key, lock cylinder, and skim module. If you install all of those parts in your car, the security will be satisfied since the pcm and skim VINs match, and the keys are the correct ones programmed in the skim. The downside is that you will have a different key for opening the doors and starting the car. It will save you having to worry about programming though. You could go to a Walmart and buy a replacement cloned key which will clone the replacement key's programming, but cut using your original key. That way your original key will still be able to start and unlock the doors, but have the correct programming for the security.

Often, you can buy a matching set of pcm, key w/lock cylinder and skim on ebay too as well as a plug and play preprogrammed pcm too.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
You should be able to use an 05 in your 04, however as others mentioned, you need to have your car's vin programmed into it before you can use it. If you install it as is, unprogrammed, the vin in the pcm will not match the vin in the skim module, and so the car will not run for longer than a couple of seconds before it shuts itself off.

The dealer can do this reprogramming, if they know how or are willing. Often they will tell you it is impossible because they either do not know how to use their tool to do it, or, they would rather sell you a $600+ replacement. Some other garages with a higher end scanner can do it also, again, if they know how. Many do not seem to know the full capability of their tool.

Syked ecu tuning can do it for $40 plus shipping back and forth. I too can do it for you, but I am located in Canada, and shipping tends to be expensive, but, it is definitely possible.

There is another way to bypass the need for programming, and it is to simply grab the pcm along with the same donor car's key, lock cylinder, and skim module. If you install all of those parts in your car, the security will be satisfied since the pcm and skim VINs match, and the keys are the correct ones programmed in the skim. The downside is that you will have a different key for opening the doors and starting the car. It will save you having to worry about programming though. You could go to a Walmart and buy a replacement cloned key which will clone the replacement key's programming, but cut using your original key. That way your original key will still be able to start and unlock the doors, but have the correct programming for the security.

Often, you can buy a matching set of pcm, key w/lock cylinder and skim on ebay too as well as a plug and play preprogrammed pcm too.
I know 06 are different but I bought a matched set off ebay for my 06 and I did not have Vin programmed in and all is well...
myckee likes this.
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
You also might be able to get the ECU repaired, depending on the problem.

What kind of PT is it by the way? Turbo or non? Manual or Automatic?
My '04 is a non-turbo automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
IF you buy one from the yard, it will need programed by dealer to work with the KEY and SKIM module.

What seems to be the problem you are having.

One other choice is to get the ECM - KEY/key cylinder - SKIM and they will work together but then you would have to rekey your locks
My problem that I'm having, according to my mechanic, is that its not getting any injection pulse after replacing the crankshaft sensor. He even tried testing the relays, fuses, and wires and everything is coming back fine. There's also no problems with the fuel pump at all.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jan 2017, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,600
Default Re: ECM Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I know 06 are different but I bought a matched set off ebay for my 06 and I did not have Vin programmed in and all is well...
Yes, as I mentioned, the set lets you avoid the programming, and as you have experienced, works on the second gens too. It's a great way to beat the cost of mail ordering the programming if you can't find a preprogrammed unit. Usually the ebay sellers charge about the same if it is a matched set, or a preprogrammed unit. I like the preprogrammed method because it is overall less hassle as they are plug and play without needing to swap modules and lock cylinders and potentially have to use multiple keys in the car.
JoeX likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PCM Compatibility nickba General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 16 May 2016 01:06 pm
MAP Sensor Compatibility double_b26 Tech & Performance Forum 4 22 Oct 2012 04:10 pm
radio compatibility brightlight07 Sound and Security Forum 9 27 Oct 2008 08:07 pm
Transmission Compatibility PTmodrod Tech & Performance Forum 6 26 Apr 2008 10:21 am
Hubcap compatibility BeachBum Wheels, Tires, Suspension 0 02 Jul 2007 07:22 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors