PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hand turn starter?

 
Like Tree68Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2017, 08:40 pm
rob302's Avatar
Dedicated Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 2,383
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

the fuel pump ground is good though, since the car runs. i would stick to tracking down the starting issue... just trying to keep you from running off course. like "fuel pump works, next"

not telling you what to do, just a "think about it" type comment
coastlight likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #172 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,024
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

I agree with Rob302. Just repair the wires for G104 and see if it starts. You don't want to start having more problems by removing wires that might not like it. I think we are all anxious to see your PT Cruiser able to start the engine with the ignition switch.
coastlight likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Feb 2017 at 09:34 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #173 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
the fuel pump ground is good though, since the car runs. i would stick to tracking down the starting issue... just trying to keep you from running off course. like "fuel pump works, next"

not telling you what to do, just a "think about it" type comment
Yes I know what you mean.

That's a good point. I appreciate your help and I believe what you say is valid. You got my car to start!

I actually have back probes coming in tomorrow and I go and clip the eyelet before I test the TIPM related to the ignition system to verify a bad ground with the back probes. Yet I jump the gun and now I just passed a step I should have waited on.

I am all over the place.
Reply With Quote
  #174 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 05:55 am
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,879
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastlight View Post
Could you recommend a good wire to use? Thanks.
Go to an auto parts store & buy a roll of 14G or 16G wire, should be under $5.
Use your clippers to get the correct size.
coastlight likes this.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Reply With Quote
  #175 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Go to an auto parts store & buy a roll of 14G or 16G wire, should be under $5.
Use your clippers to get the correct size.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I got 18G, 16G, and 14G wire.

Does it matter if number of strands don't match to original ground wires?

I got 2 wires that match a 16G coil I bought (19 strands). The other 5 wires have 7 strands and look like the 14G wire but don't match in strands.

I called the dealership and it is going to take 1-2weeks prepaid for the 7 strand one - and still they're not even sure its the right one. They are saying its a harness and going off my description and not off the service manual.

Can I still go ahead and use what I got right now for all wires anyways?
Reply With Quote
  #176 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:52 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,879
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastlight View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

I got 18G, 16G, and 14G wire.

Does it matter if number of strands don't match to original ground wires?

I got 2 wires that match a 16G coil I bought (19 strands). The other 5 wires have 7 strands and look like the 14G wire but don't match in strands.

I called the dealership and it is going to take 1-2weeks prepaid for the 7 strand one - and still they're not even sure its the right one. They are saying its a harness and going off my description and not off the service manual.

Can I still go ahead and use what I got right now for all wires anyways?
Small or more strands is more flexible...the rating is the same as larger or less strands of the same gauge wire...but harder to bend.
Just match up the thickness of the outside width.
EDIT: 18G is probably too thin.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited by LionPT; 16 Feb 2017 at 02:52 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #177 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 01:17 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Small or more strands is more flexible...the rating is the same as larger or less strands of the same gauge wire...but harder to bend.
Just match up the thickness of the outside width.
18G is probably too think & you don't want to create any resistance.
Alright, so number of strands don't matter as long as the rubber insulation is same width when matched.

I think I'm all set then.

I'll update the info once I'm done. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #178 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 07:17 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Alright so I was able to do 6 wires today and now I got some more wiggle room with these new wires:



I think the first 2 may have a little bit of resistance because there was a small blob in each wire at the bottom of the new connection (gravity must have pulled it down).

The next 4 wires I did were not fully tinned but not showing too much copper either (to avoid the same mistake of letting gravity build blobs at the bottom again). One the 4 looks like this except with a bit more tin:





1 more to do tomorrow and that should be it. Hopefully it won't have too much resistance due to the 2 small blobs. This was hard work. Sticking fingers down through two pipes was no easy task.

Now it's dark and I have to finish tomorrow.

Would anyone say I should worry about resistance due to the blobs?
Reply With Quote
  #179 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 104
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Well I feel good getting all wires done now. My last wire is a masterpiece!




However, now when I finish one problem I run into the other. I don't know how to solder all 7 wires into the new eyelet. 7 wires just come out like butter when I pull:






Anybody know how to get the wires to stick to the new eyelet?

I tried to solder the wires to the new eyelet.

I even called the dealership and they don't have any eyelets in the stock but said that I would have to order the whole harness for a week to 2 week period with 1 eyelet attached to it.

Is there a quick solution to this?

ALMOST DONE!! WOOHOO!!
Reply With Quote
  #180 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 6,024
Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastlight View Post
Well I feel good getting all wires done now. My last wire is a masterpiece!




However, now when I finish one problem I run into the other. I don't know how to solder all 7 wires into the new eyelet. 7 wires just come out like butter when I pull:






Anybody know how to get the wires to stick to the new eyelet?

I tried to solder the wires to the new eyelet.

I even called the dealership and they don't have any eyelets in the stock but said that I would have to order the whole harness for a week to 2 week period with 1 eyelet attached to it.

Is there a quick solution to this?

ALMOST DONE!! WOOHOO!!
What kind of a soldering iron are you using? Is it getting hot enough?
rob302 likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diablosport hand held or skyed hand held tuner 707gtcruiser Stage Turbo Kits 7 01 Aug 2016 02:12 pm
Stalled while driving, Starter won't turn over. dfoulkes General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 16 Feb 2016 05:16 pm
starter cranks but motor doesn't turn over aries666 Tech & Performance Forum 1 23 Apr 2015 07:39 pm
Converting a Right Hand Steering PT to left Hand sliver Members PT Project 12 12 Oct 2012 12:11 pm
Left hand turn no wheel stop? xerotime Wheels, Tires, Suspension 2 16 Jun 2009 08:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors