Advertisements
Hand turn starter?

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2017, 06:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Hand turn starter?

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I own a 2009 PT Cruiser and am having starting issues.

I believe it is either the starter or the fuel line that is causing the problem.

Would anyone recommend turning the belts by hand to assist in starting?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hand turn starter?

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you put some starter fluid in the throttle body if the engine is turning over but not starting.

Is the engine turning over slowly?
Old 21 Jan 2017, 09:17 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastlight View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I own a 2009 PT Cruiser and am having starting issues.

I believe it is either the starter or the fuel line that is causing the problem.

Would anyone recommend turning the belts by hand to assist in starting?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I think you need to be a little more specific about what your question asks. It sounds (reads) like you want to grab the belts and help turn the engine over while it is being started. I think you will lose some fingers doing that! So the answer to your question is "NO, it is not recommended to turn the belts by hand to assist in starting".
Old 21 Jan 2017, 10:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Is the starter actually spinning the engine over or not? If not, then start with the battery. Check the cables and connections. Check the grounds. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage in it. Should be around 12.5. If all of your connections are good and you hear the starter try to spin the engine and it doesn't, then try tapping the starter with a hammer. The bendix in it might be sticking. BUT under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you try to assist spinning the engine by hand is someone else is trying to engage the starter with the key. Like stated before, you'll probably lose some fingers.
coastlight likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 21 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourhar View Post
I think you need to be a little more specific about what your question asks. It sounds (reads) like you want to grab the belts and help turn the engine over while it is being started. I think you will lose some fingers doing that! So the answer to your question is "NO, it is not recommended to turn the belts by hand to assist in starting".
Yes I was trying to grab the belts to turn engine. I got a lot of flak for that and I think I'll stay away from that idea.

So basically I think I have a starter or fuel line problem.

My mom's PT won't crank at all. It used to just click constantly when turning ignition but now - nothing.

I charged the battery.
Changed the terminals.
Saw the headlights still on when turning ignition.
Banged the starter a bit.

Nothing.

I recently dropped 1600 on new rad and radiator fan.

Trying to find other ways to take a crack at this without going back to the dealership to drop another brick.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastlight View Post
Yes I was trying to grab the belts to turn engine. I got a lot of flak for that and I think I'll stay away from that idea.

So basically I think I have a starter or fuel line problem.

My mom's PT won't crank at all. It used to just click constantly when turning ignition but now - nothing.

I charged the battery.
Changed the terminals.
Saw the headlights still on when turning ignition.
Banged the starter a bit.

Nothing.

I recently dropped 1600 on new rad and radiator fan.

Trying to find other ways to take a crack at this without going back to the dealership to drop another brick.
Yeah, that's probably not too safe.

Sorry to say, but I think you way overpaid.

Welcome to the forum
coastlight likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
143K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 21 Jan 2017 at 11:40 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 12:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting a voltmeter and check the battery voltage when you are trying to start it. If it doesn't change when you are trying to start it you have an open circuit somewhere.

Also check the voltage coming from the ignition switch to the starter. Post what voltage you have on that wire.

I would also suggest with an ohmmeter check the resistance in both battery cables. Some members have solved the starting issue after replacing bad battery cables.

Ignore the starting system image attached as it is for a 1st generation 2001 PT Cruiser. Yours is a second generation PT Cruiser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 Starting System 2.4L.jpg (50.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Jan 2017 at 01:56 am.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 07:11 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Even recharging a battery with a dead cell on two in it won't make it work. Take the battery out and take it to your local Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA, Car Quest, Pep Boys or whatever other auto parts store that's closest to you and have them load test it. I'll bet your frigging battery is no good. Even the Walmart automotive people can do that for you if you're closer to a Walmart.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
2003 PT GT 2.4 turbo auto stick
Old 22 Jan 2017, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Even recharging a battery with a dead cell on two in it won't make it work. Take the battery out and take it to your local Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA, Car Quest, Pep Boys or whatever other auto parts store that's closest to you and have them load test it. I'll bet your frigging battery is no good. Even the Walmart automotive people can do that for you if you're closer to a Walmart.
If you have a battery charger you can check the battery yourself with the help from the link below.
Nitro's way of checking a battery
coastlight likes this.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Agree.
Have you tried hooking another car's battery in parallel? (Jumping)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles