PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Gushing from cam gears

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2017, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Oil Gushing from cam gears

I am assuming that's where the severe oil leak is from as I have reset the valve cover 3 times and used RTV in the required areas. The timing belt I just put on is now covered in oil as are the cam gears. Any ideas of where it could be coming from? The cam caps were torqued to spec.

Disclaimer: There isn't a picture attached because everyone knows what oil covered parts look like.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Gushing from cam gears

..Pressure Wash the engine of all the oil. Start the engine and go look to see where the oil leak is. If it is not readily seen place a piece of cardboard under the engine when it is not running and let the oil drip and follow the trail.

Other wise you either incorrectly installed a part or gasket or overlooked something.

I highly suggest that you get a Factory Service Manual or at least a Chilton or Haynes repair manual if you are going to continue doing most of the work on your PT Cruiser.

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Jan 2017 at 05:13 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What procedure did you use installing the cam cap itself? Any sealant used?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

cam shaft oil seal(s)
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Crank seal..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 Jan 2017, 07:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
..Pressure Wash the engine of all the oil. Start the engine and go look to see where the oil leak is. If it is not readily seen place a piece of cardboard under the engine when it is not running and let the oil drip and follow the trail.

Other wise you either incorrectly installed a part or gasket or overlooked something.

I highly suggest that you get a Factory Service Manual or at least a Chilton or Haynes repair manual if you are going to continue doing most of the work on your PT Cruiser.
I didn't pressure wash it but cleaned it thoroughly enough to see it was coming from behind the rear timing cover at the cam gears. In reading this I just remembered having a copy of the manual on my laptop. Needless to say the below quote caused me to look and realize, I NEVER INSTALLED THE CAM SEALS !!!!!! I am a F'n IDIOT! I am so pissed off, Now I have to tear it all back down. It wouldn't be such a hassle if it weren't for that stupid frame mount. Thank you, I really do appreciate the feedback. (even if MSD wires do suck )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
What procedure did you use installing the cam cap itself? Any sealant used?
No, I only made sure I placed the right cap on the right cam. I guess that means I made a drastic mistake.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
I didn't pressure wash it but cleaned it thoroughly enough to see it was coming from behind the rear timing cover at the cam gears. In reading this I just remembered having a copy of the manual on my laptop. Needless to say the below quote caused me to look and realize, I NEVER INSTALLED THE CAM SEALS !!!!!! I am a F'n IDIOT! I am so pissed off, Now I have to tear it all back down. It wouldn't be such a hassle if it weren't for that stupid frame mount. Thank you, I really do appreciate the feedback. (even if MSD wires do suck )

No, I only made sure I placed the right cap on the right cam. I guess that means I made a drastic mistake.
the cam cap one the seal end has a sealant prrcedure covered in the book to seal and leave drain passages open. Has a wedge of sealant applied so the thick edge is to the outside of the cap on the belt side.
I would clean that belt really good with dawn dushwashing liquid. Oil will break down the belt and cause it to fail prematurely. You can start the engine with or open to be sure everything is ok.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 21 Jan 2017 at 07:28 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
the cam cap one the seal end has a sealant prrcedure covered in the book to seal and leave drain passages open. Has a wedge of sealant applied so the thick edge is to the outside of the cap on the belt side.
I would clean that belt really good with dawn dushwashing liquid. Oil will break down the belt and cause it to fail prematurely. You can start the engine with or open to be sure everything is ok.
A couple of pots of boiling hot water from a tea pot will do wonders for cleaning oil and grease off your engine.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 22 Jan 2017, 03:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Simple green works well too. I read there is a dye you can put in the oil ad I assume a black light to see where the leaks are.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 05:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Simple green works well too. I read there is a dye you can put in the oil ad I assume a black light to see where the leaks are.
Tracer Products Dye-Lite - Gasoline Engine Oil Dye

Used it myself last year.
NitroPT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost