Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Touring Front wheel bearing issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2017, 07:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2002 Touring Front wheel bearing issues

Hey, guys. I have a 2002 Touring Model that is eating front wheel bearings. I've replaced the hubs on both sides, and an original passenger side axle this weekend. After having the new bearing pressed into the driver's side steering knuckle, as we were re-assembling the knuckle to the strut and getting ready to install the hub and the axle nut, we noticed that there is some movement of the bearing within the steering knuckle. It pressed in ok, so I am really at a loss to explain what the hell is going on or how this could've happened.

The car has 195,000 miles on it. However, I've never heard of a steering knuckle wearing out on one of these cars. The problem I've got is that unfortunately, places like O'Reilly's don't carry these. I was told to either get one from a salvage yard or the dealer. I found one at a Chrysler Parts place online, but it is $266.00. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? Do these knuckles wear out like this? I'm using the larger(39mm) National wheel bearings, and not O'Reilly's standard ones, which I've not had alot of luck with. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 21 Jan 2017, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Touring Front wheel bearing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
Hey, guys. I have a 2002 Touring Model that is eating front wheel bearings. I've replaced the hubs on both sides, and an original passenger side axle this weekend. After having the new bearing pressed into the driver's side steering knuckle, as we were re-assembling the knuckle to the strut and getting ready to install the hub and the axle nut, we noticed that there is some movement of the bearing within the steering knuckle. It pressed in ok, so I am really at a loss to explain what the hell is going on or how this could've happened.

The car has 195,000 miles on it. However, I've never heard of a steering knuckle wearing out on one of these cars. The problem I've got is that unfortunately, places like O'Reilly's don't carry these. I was told to either get one from a salvage yard or the dealer. I found one at a Chrysler Parts place online, but it is $266.00. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? Do these knuckles wear out like this? I'm using the larger(39mm) National wheel bearings, and not O'Reilly's standard ones, which I've not had alot of luck with. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
there are two size bearings. Early models have a smaller one. Not sure if 01 was he only Year or some 02s but sounds like you need the later, or the big one. 03 and up for sure have the bigger bearing. It's wider than the first one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jan 2017, 08:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Have you tried RockAuto? They have a great selection of about anything you could want and the prices are certainly lower than factory. Try the link below and best of luck.

RVC

2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Suspension Parts | RockAuto

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 21 Jan 2017, 08:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

When the front wheel bearings are going bad often you forgot to install the ground wire from front stearing knucle to frame
Some people say not needed but prevents static electricty from building up and discharging through the bearing causing pitting on the races
Old 22 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

I know about the importance of the strut ground wires to the wheel bearings, and the ground wires were intact. The problem we had yesterday was after pressing the bearing into the steering knuckle and putting on the plate with the 3 bolts, we reattached the steering knuckle to the strut. We routed the end of the axle thru the center of the bearing, however we were able to move the bearing around inside the bore of the steering knuckle.

I've never seen this before, and judging by the fact that we pressed the new bearing in with the old one and seated it, we shouldn't have had any movement of the bearing inside the steering knuckle bore. We had previously replaced the hubs and used the National brand bearings. The bearings were the 39mm ones(wider than the 33mm ones).
Old 22 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=sscanlan;639469]I've replaced the hubs on both sides, and an original passenger side axle this weekend. After having the new bearing pressed into the driver's side steering knuckle, as we were re-assembling the knuckle to the strut and getting ready to install the hub and the axle nut, we noticed that there is some movement of the bearing within the steering knuckle. It pressed in ok, so I am really at a loss to explain what the hell is going on or how this could've happened.

Does all the new parts match the dimensions of the original parts?