PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shuddering at 55

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2017, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shuddering at 55

My 09 Cruiser runs smooths at 55 - 60 for a while then begins to shudder badly. It'll smooth out around 45 and stay that way for a while until I take her back up to 55. Timing belt, passenger bearing recently replaced. Any ideas before I start replacing parts?

If I need to replace a CV axle, What do you recommend? I saw CV axles for sale at Rockauto for a really good price.

Last edited by gonzousn; 23 Jan 2017 at 07:07 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shuddering at 55

When was last time you had an alignment done? Tires balanced?
Try swapping front tires to back. If that helps, get balance & alignment.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does it smoothen out when you go faster?
Have you replaced spark plugs and wires according to the recommended schedule?
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mine has done that forever. Its around 55 then smooths out. Some will say its an axle.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Mine has done that forever. Its around 55 then smooths out. Some will say its an axle.
On one of my Pt Cruisers it did it at 60 mph. I thought it was also an axle til I replaced my spark plugs and spark plug wires. Ran like new after this was done. When was the last time the plugs and wires replaced.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 06:57 am
Cool Cruiser

2000 miles ago, and at 100,000 miles
Old 24 Jan 2017, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I had the timing belt replaced, I also had the plugs and wires done as well. I might replace the plugs again since I had NGK V-Powers installed. Or recheck the plug gap.

I will go ahead and check the tire balance and alignment since the car was subjected to the brutal streets of NYC for 2 years before I returned to Virginia.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 04:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you think it is a steering shudder, not engine shudder, also check your tie rod ends.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 24 Jan 2017, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I can literally watch something on the passenger seat or my GPS on the dash jump up and down. At 45 its fine, 55 shudder, 60 gone, 70, 80, 90 no issues. new tires a couple times, timing belt, plugs, wires, coil, motor struts. I have learned to live with it. Someone said transmission mount, or center motor mount. It is not in the steering wheel, its definitely rotational or maybe the trans does not shift at the right point and is confused. I just chalk it up as the PT Shake and leave it at that.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzousn View Post
When I had the timing belt replaced, I also had the plugs and wires done as well. I might replace the plugs again since I had NGK V-Powers installed. Or recheck the plug gap.

I will go ahead and check the tire balance and alignment since the car was subjected to the brutal streets of NYC for 2 years before I returned to Virginia.
I jacked up the front end of my PT Cruiser and eliminated possible defective tires and bad alignment when I still got the vibrations at 55 mph on my other PT Cruiser.

If you still get the vibrations with the PT Cruiser front end jacked up check your wheel bearings. Check to see if the vibration is coming from the drivers side or the passenger side. The wheel bearings are common for going bad. If it is not coming from the wheel bearings try to find out where the vibration is coming from. Harbor Freight has a Mechanic Stethoscope that makes it easier to detect bad bearings.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Jan 2017 at 12:50 am.