hatch wiring harness

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nomad327
  • 2 Post By nomad327

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2017, 08:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default hatch wiring harness

I have had some sort of major failure of my hatch wiring harness on my 02 limited (mechanical latch handle). The car has low miles but she opens and closes the hatch about 50 times a day, usually slamming it hard. In any case, the interior lights failed to actuate with the hatch opening for a month or so, and now the rear wiper and center stop light no longer work. I ran a new temporary ground wire routed outside the body work to the center stop light as a test and the stop lights now work but that did not fix anything else which tells me something about the problem because the other items I mentioned and the power lock solenoid all have a common ground inside the hatch itself. I also notice the power locks cycle once or twice each time the hatch is opened or closed (fortunately in the open direction so far). In any case, that is all background info. My real question is what to use to make a repair pigtail to route though the rubber bellows. There are two 12 gauge wires and one 16 gauge. The other seven wires are 18 or 20 gauge, which means basically speaker wire. I will probably just pull the power lock fuse and fix the stop light and put off the big job until warmer weather.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 07:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: hatch wiring harness

I believe I found a product that will work for me OK. On Amazon, there is a stereo wiring product called a Stinger SGW9920 9 Conductor Speedwire 20ft Roll which has nine color coded 18 gauge wires installed in a flexible blue jacket. The product has a lot of positive feedback, and is described as being very flexible. I can use seven of the wires as is, join two of the 18's to replace the 16 gauge and string two additional 12 gauge wires separate for the remaining (heated glass) circuit. Pulling the door lock circuit fuse under the dash stopped the lock cycling problem caused by the short as expected, and the temporary ground wire I already ran has the center stop light working again. Just follow up if anybody searching in the future finds this thread.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 09:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a rear latch assembly if you might be interested in replacing yours if you think it might be your problem. I was just letting you know I had one on hand.

20141027_211505.jpg

20141027_211514.jpg

20141027_211540.jpg

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 25 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I may not actually work on mine now until spring. I can live with it as is for a couple of months. Your pictures are excellent and are a help in understanding it. I am pretty sure I have a couple of cut or pinched wires inside the rubber bellows because running a temporary ground into the system only fixed one of my problems, and I would have expected more problems to clear themself. The other mystery is how opening and closing the hatch causes the door locks to cycle. It appears there is a circuit which will unlock all the doors if you open the hatch with a key, and that wire or it's switch is somehow compromised. I will keep your offer for a replacement latch in mind for after I actually get my unit disassembled for inspection. Thanks again.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 09:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

I finally got around to making the repair using the stereo wire product I mentioned back on Jan 25. I found seven of the lighter gauge wires all cut completely off at the hatch end of the bellows. I used about 2 feet of the repair wiring and replaced the section from about 4" beyond the connector plug located inside the car by the rear speaker up through the bellows and a couple inches inside the hatch itself. It was easier than I expected and everything works now. It took about three hours doing a solder and heat shrink at every connector. A lot of extra time was spent making sure I kept the connections correct end to end.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.
Old 07 Aug 2017, 06:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

At least you took your time and did the job right. I don't understand why people will half-ass a job and then complain when it either doesn't work or stops working again. I expect you'll be good for as long as you own it now, by taking the time to do it the right way! Congratulations.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.