Advertisements
Repeat evac (evap) codes issues

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Repeat evac (evap) codes issues

HI guys, I'm Back!

Ongoing issues with the check engine light. Always the same codes - 004xx - evac leak. Guy at shop says to track it down will start at $150+.

A little history - changed from original cap to locking gas cap. Fixed issue for short time. Codes came back up, cleaned cap threads and filler neck threads and seals. Again, fixed for a while.

After our "big freeze" (Vancouver, WA 20 " snow) parked car with full gas tank at start of snow, when finally found car again it had 3/4 tank and check engine light came back on with same codes. Found locking gas cap had been forced and wasn't sealing. Bought new cap and light went off. Filled tank, light came back on, same codes.

Enter guy at shop. Pulled codes, same ones. This last fill the mileage was 14 Mpg! I was seeing 19 - 20 in town before. Thinking someone took some gas but???

I'm not smelling gas and she's running nice otherwise. If it's not the gas cap, where could the leak be and can it be found without spending over $150 to find it.

She's a 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible 2.4L HO Turbo with 85,250 miles. Using full synthetic oil, just replaced valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, all air filters, tires are at proper inflation.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on keeping my baby forever and getting her as great as she can get.

Thanks guys
Old 26 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Repeat evac (evap) codes issues

Post exact DTC(s) please.
Did you or the mechanic check the readiness area of the PCM? If so which area(s) in fault or none ready?

The gas cap...Try a thin application of white grease on the rubber seal clear DTC with a scanning tool or have the cap itself pressure tested.
IF after the grease application the DTC(S) do not return buy another fuel cap I recommend none locking. Who steals gas anymore and unless you have someone that once to harm you through property damage there really is no need for one on a PT Cruiser. It is really hard anyway to siphon from a PT Cruiser fuel tank.
MJKnight and chuzz like this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Jan 2017 at 12:38 pm.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the gas filler neck too. Maybe if someone forced the locking cap loose, they damaged the flange and it's not sealing properly? IDK, I'm not a mechanic like NitoPT.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 02:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The Chrysler NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection), mounted on the fuel tank, is known to fail.

My evac codes evaporated after I changed this on my car
The replacement salvage yard unit has been fine for five years.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 08:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The Chrysler NVLD (natural vacuum leak detection), mounted on the fuel tank, is known to fail.

My evac codes evaporated after I changed this on my car
The replacement salvage yard unit has been fine for five years.
How much of a pain in the neck it that to change, man? I'm sure it's on top of the tank, right?

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwildes1 View Post
HI guys, I'm Back! Ongoing issues with the check engine light. Always the same codes - 004xx - evac leak.
Without the actual codes we would be guessing at what the problem is.

I have locking gas caps on my PT Cruisers and have not had any problems with them. I keep the original gas caps in case I need them for diagnosing an evap problem.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 11:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

I have locking gas caps on my PT Cruisers and have not had any problems with them. I keep the original gas caps in case I need them for diagnosing an evap problem.

EVAP codes are usually 0455, 0456, 0457...the codes are not for a specific part...just EVAP.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

My reason for NOT recommending a locking fuel cap is mainly because its been my experience doing EMISSION TESTING in California that many people with aftermarket fuel caps cheap when using them. They will turn the cap only enough to appear it has secured and locked when reality it is not. This makes it a lazy lock to skip a step at the gas station but this method does not always create a good seal on the fuel tank. What happens is the ECU will initiate a trouble code when the fuel tank leaks air from an improper fuel cap seal and than clear it as the cap seals again sometimes before it appears on the dash as a warning check engine light. Generally the act of simply driving on an uneven road can set and re-set Evaporative engine codes caused by a fuel cap incorrectly applied.
The only accurate way to see this happening is to view the Readiness area. Even if a engine code has been cleared the readiness area must cycle through to reset positive and ready for emission testing.

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jan 2017 at 02:38 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
My reason for NOT recommending a locking fuel cap is mainly because its been my experience doing EMISSION TESTING in California that many people with aftermarket fuel caps cheap when using them. They will turn the cap only enough to appear it has secured and locked when reality it is not. This makes it a lazy lock to skip a step at the gas station but this method does not always create a good seal on the fuel tank. What happens is the ECU will initiate a trouble code when the fuel tank leaks air from an improper fuel cap seal and than clear it as the cap seals again sometimes before it appears on the dash as a warning check engine light. Generally the act of simply driving on an uneven road can set and re-set Evaporative engine codes caused by a fuel cap incorrectly applied.
The only accurate way to see this happening is to view the Readiness area. Even if a engine code has been cleared the readiness area must cycle through to reset positive and ready for emission testing.
I got the Evap codes once and put the original cap back on. As NitroPT posted my problem was not have a good seal where the locking cap goes on and noticing how flimsy the locking gas caps are compared to the non locking gas caps.
Old 20 May 2017, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Repeat evac (evap) codes issues

I'm Baack!

The same old code p0442. Does it when I fill the tank, when it's been a few days parked, doesn't seem to matter how much fuel is in the tank. I've replaced the cap with a better quality cap, cleaned both cap and the filler neck and I make sure that the cap is always on straight and tight. Sooooo, if it's not the filler cap what do I need to do to find out what the @#%* problem is.

I've noticed that I'm not the only evap leak victim here.

Also, she has given me 3 new codes, p0552 - engine oil pressure sensor low voltage, p0032 - HO2S bank 1 sensor 1, p0038 HO2S bank 1 sensor 2

Have less than 90k miles, catalytic system shouldn't be having an issue yet should it?